Hi, Guest

Author Topic:  Grooming and Hygiene  (Read 20215 times)

shubharamani

Grooming and Hygiene
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:54:33 PM »
This topic is for discussing lotions, grooming products, deodorants, hygiene habits and the like. I thought of the idea after perusing the "sweat stain" and "cocaine/drugs in hair" discussion in one of the recent threads.

I don't sweat profusely but after all, I'm human -- and I do sweat under the pits. But you know what stains clothes ? Antiperspirant (which normally contains all kindsa bad stuff like aluminum). I don't care if I sweat...but I don't want to stink. I've been using "Tom's of Maine" -- completely holistic and natural products -- deodorant sticks for years [Tom's deodorant sticks do not contain antiperspirant]. Do Tom's products prevent wet spots from appearing under your pits ? No. But these products will prevent body odor. In one of the photos I posted yesterday, my sweaty pits are clearly evident...but I don't give a shit about that. The thing is, natural human sweat doesn't stain...but antiperspirant mixed in with sweat does stain clothes.

For body lotion, I use commoner's drug store brands such as Jergens and Nivea on my body and Body Shop on my face. Nothing special at all. I often hear about my lovely skin but honestly, I don't use Botox or do anything special. Just lots of yoga, healthy diet, exercise, as much sun as I can soak, and of course -- no smokes or booze.

I do get my face waxed (at a local salon) about once a month...dark skinned women are prone to hairy faces -- and I'm not thrilled about the moustache'd look on women.

People often tell me that I have beautiful teeth. Yes, I take fabulous care of my teeth.  Daily brushing and vigorous flossing, staying away from sweets, consuming plenty of calcium, etc...

So, that's my contribution. Now let's hear yours...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 01:57:10 PM by shubharamani »

Offline Giles

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Iron Heart
Re: Grooming and Hygiene
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 02:03:36 PM »
Mrs Giles will be able to contribute better to this thread than me.  Potions and lotions are a complete mystery to me...G
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Beatle

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 02:05:27 PM »
How many guys are on here ? I bet they're all gonna get their girlfriends hooked to this thread..talk about cosmetics ...

For what it's worth - Dr. Bronners soap
We can do anything

http://bybeatle.com

shubharamani

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 02:19:21 PM »
Beatle...you read my mind ! I also use Dr. Bronners... Peppermint rocks !!

Offline hectic

• Mod Squad
  • The Real Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 02:28:31 PM »
Clinique for me (perfumed ponce)

shubharamani

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 02:40:54 PM »
This pic was taken literally 5 minutes after getting my face waxed. PS...one thing I forgot to mention. "Makeup" is not in my vocab. I don't ever use makeup (except for lip balm -- if you consider that makeup). No foundation, no rouges, no perfume, no nothing -- except for Body Shop "Body Butter" lotion on my face.

Offline Beatle

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 02:48:14 PM »
wooahhh..big picture..but I guess you want to know if the waxing was successful...

I dare to post a before picture

Yeah, ur right - the work wonders at ur beauty parlor
We can do anything

Offline hectic

• Mod Squad
  • The Real Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 02:56:23 PM »
This deserves a mention on this thread:

shubharamani

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:24:19 PM »
Yup, Beatle you sure dug up a snap of me,
before the wax !!! LOL !!! I'd say the parlor
did a perfect job !

Offline deadendpro

• 啓蒙家
  • Getting faded is a lifestyle.
    • View Profile
    • DEP twitter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »
i use soap (dove) and water to clean.
it happens everyday.
i would not say the same for my jeans though... hahaha
and lotion is a necessity! awwwww yeah!
Currently not wearing jeans daily :-(

Offline Madame Buttonfly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 06:22:23 PM »
Loving the photos, and video clip - thanks for giving us a really good laugh today!  ;D

G not big on cosmetics and toiletries, he likes good old soap and water, and quite frankly is so unappreciative of luxury grooming products that I get quite upset when I see him liberally using my precious L'Occitane or Aveda shampoo!

Shubha, no wonder your skin is so great, you are doing all the right things.  Sadly I'm nowhere near as healthy in my habits as you (blame G of course for being bad influence), and I do use lotions and potions and makeup to try to repair/cover up the damage.  I feel guilty buying expensive stuff, so my three sisters and I use Christmas and birthdays as opportunities to re-stock each other.  Family favourites are Clarins, Decleor, L'Occitane and Aveda.  I also love Origins ginger body and bath stuff.

Giles uses E45 cream on his face (but I think would be equally happy using lard).

If I'm buying for myself then Body Shop stuff tops the list.  Also we have L'Occitane and Molton Brown outlet stores nearby, so sometimes I treat myself to an expensive bargain!

Now I am on a mission to find some Dr Bronners soap to try.

Holiday treat - take L'Occitane Almond Shower Oil - it's lovely.

So there you go - I might not know anywhere near enough about denim (yet) but can wax lyrical about poncy potions!
AKA Mrs G

shubharamani

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 06:25:42 PM »
Giles uses E45 cream on his face (but I think would be equally happy using lard).

OMG, Paula I died laughing at this statement !

PS. I'm also an L'Occitane addict. I shop at the one in The Castro (San Francisco) all the time. It's very near Self Edge, BTW.

Offline Madame Buttonfly

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
Hee, hee - poor G, he'll probably throw me off the Forum soon!

Glad you're a fan of L'Occitane, I get some good deals at our local outlet store, will come stocked up when we next visit SF.

Just ordered some Dr Bronner soaps (citrus and peppermint) and body lotion (patchouli and lime - sounds gorgeous).  Must try to use more natural products.  These look super, thanks to you and Beatle for the double recommendation.
AKA Mrs G

Offline simon626

• Iron Heart Deity
  • Illuminated Individual
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 07:34:29 PM »
I'm a big fan of Clinique's Moisture Surge Thirst Relief lotion. It's pink colored.....

It used to be my sister who used it, but one day my face was really dry and she told me to put some on. I told her it was useless, because even when i put on lotion my face ended up drying out later on in the day. She said to try some of hers so I put some on before i went to school, and i just started out my day like normal.

During one of my language classes, girls were talking about lotions and i overheard them talking about clinique lotion. Feeling the smootheness of my face, i chimed in and said how excellent i thought the Clinique Moisture Surge was. The girls rushed over to touch my face, giggled in delight, and just kept on complimenting me on how smooth my skin was. And sure enough, my face stayed hydrated all day long!

To this day i apply it to my face and neck every day before i leave the house.

And yea, my face is fucking smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth.  ::) ::) ::)

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:02:46 AM by simon626 »
Currently Wearing: IH-666OD & SExIHxindo

Offline Beatle

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 07:39:01 PM »
Paula - great  purchase..you can use the liquid Dr. Bronners for everything..shower, dishes - and the bar sopa is perfect for hand washing ur jeans.  I´m sure Giles will appreciate it as well....
We can do anything