Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Iron Chef WAYCT - What Are You Cooking Today  (Read 191162 times)

Offline Chap

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Chef WAYCT - What Are You Cooking Today
« Reply #2265 on: March 10, 2019, 01:31:26 pm »
Indian Sunday lunch

"F2C3BB21-1E65-4749-8E87-99839E97CD6A.jpeg""13254FA5-9470-4872-8E7E-0FB2327BF647.jpeg""3D14538B-0212-4854-B833-6F2FA08860FA.jpeg"
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline Chap

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 10, 2019, 01:36:46 pm »
Lovely thank you. I feel I may need one. Can you put a spice crust on the rice with it?

Yes I think so, you just had to be aware that they can be burnt when roasted to long. The bottom can also layerd with potatoe slices or the rice can be filled with anything like vegetables or meat which can be cooked together with the rice.
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline Chris

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 12, 2019, 12:47:11 am »
Yes I think so, you just had to be aware that they can be burnt when roasted to long. The bottom can also layerd with potatoe slices or the rice can be filled with anything like vegetables or meat which can be cooked together with the rice.
Hmm, my rice cooker does the same thing, but I always considered it a flaw.  I like this approach.  I'm going to have to experiment with ways to make a tasty rice puck.

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 12, 2019, 01:31:27 am »
Did a nice Italian-style braised kale today that I thought I'd share.

Chop up some shallot and sautee in a large vessel (a wok or large pan that you can cover) in olive oil until glassy.
Add some red wine vinegar and thinly shaved garlic (I used 2 cloves) and simmer covered.
Add an equal part (to the red wine vinegar) of balsamic vinegar and some Italian herbs (I just used a dried blend that was actually German in origin). Crack some pepper, red pepper flakes, salt, and let simmer covered until the garlic is cooked, stirring as needed.
Probably added an equal part of water to the liquid.
Add to bunches of de-veined, chopped kale and braise in the liquid, stirring when not covered. Taste as you go and adjust seasoning. It's easiest to use tongs to make sure all kale pieces are dredged through the braising liquid.
Right when the bright green of the kale is about to dull, add the zest of one lemon and stir it in. Take off heat, ready to serve.

I think that adding tomato to get a fourth acid in the mix would have been a great idea too. We had this with pork tenderloin.
Think it, be it.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 12, 2019, 06:10:30 am »
You could just add more red wine vinegar before serving. The cooked vinegar will probably have lost a lost of its acidity. In fact, you could cook with red wine, and finish with vinegar...

Kale is pretty darn good. The problem is that you have to remove all those center stems, leaf by leaf...

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 12, 2019, 12:20:19 pm »
The lemon zest is a different kind of acid that comes out much different than adding more red wine vinegar. Another option is pickling lemon, but having tried both the zest is better.

Kale is super easy to process. Try gripping the fat end of the stem making a ring with your fingers on one hand and just pulling it through the ring with your other hand.. Each leaf takes seconds using this method.
Think it, be it.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 14, 2019, 05:50:38 pm »
This weekend, we have guests, I going to try and recreate the Pot Roast that @seawolf documented.

This is the smallest piece of chuck I could find  :)

"IMG_3138.JPG"
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 14, 2019, 06:07:30 pm »
Nice!

"Slaughtered in," even if y'all occasionally mince meat, not mincing words there :D

I hear the term "harvested" used in the States, and I'm not even sure the FDA requires that information on label.
Think it, be it.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 14, 2019, 06:26:12 pm »
A spade is a spade.... ???
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: March 14, 2019, 06:40:58 pm »
I prefer this directness. People should understand where food comes from.

I hope you post pics of the end product!
Think it, be it.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 14, 2019, 08:34:35 pm »
I will.....

Offline steelworker

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 14, 2019, 08:53:12 pm »
I loathe the bullshit use of 'harvested' when referring to animals. Corn and wheat is harvested, chickens, cattle, pigs, are slaughtered.
And since I'm screwing up this thread another eye roller is the the various euphemisms people use in obits instead of "died".  They might have "passed," though what they passed isn't mentioned,  perhaps they went "home to be with the Lord,"  maybe they're "with the angels"  ::) but the only certainty is they're dead. Or harvested, if you prefer, by the Grim Reaper. ???
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 14, 2019, 09:36:32 pm »
...the one time "harvested" makes sense :D
Think it, be it.

Offline seawolf

• 啓蒙家
  • _ ZeeBee Leather _
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 15, 2019, 12:51:13 pm »
Looking forward to it G! That looks like a nice hunk of chuck. I wonder if when being sold as a smaller portion it's named braising steak, and when you buy the entire 6+ kg chunk they call it chuck? Either way, I'm glad you found the cut you were looking for. Looks like it has some nice marbling. Plenty of leftovers! If you cut it down into smaller pieces (maybe 3?) they'll cook a little faster, and you'll have more surface area to sear which will add to your flavor development.

That's a lot of information on that label.
Custom leather belts, wallets, and bags.

www.zeebeeleather.com

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 15, 2019, 01:10:17 pm »
I buy my large cuts of meat from a butcher who supplies most of the decent restaurants down here.   It may be that that level of info is required by the F&B industry in the UK.....