Hi, Guest

Author Topic: There's no Such Thing as a Stupid Question  (Read 61904 times)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: There's no Such Thing as a Stupid Question
« Reply #720 on: November 23, 2018, 07:27:25 am »
You.

You chose to ship something you were given free, untracked.  I don't think there is any question I am afraid.
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline spitfiredealer

• 啓蒙家
  • The Juice was worth the squeeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 23, 2018, 08:11:01 am »
Yep completely you.

You took the risk and it didn’t work out. You win some you lose some.

Cancel the PayPal dispute and put it down to a life lesson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scooter

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 23, 2018, 08:26:57 am »
Free product. 2 month shipping time, without tracking. A couple of old proverbs come to mind...

" If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. "
" A fool and his money will soon be parted. "

If Paypal finds in your favor, consider yourself VERY lucky. If they don't, consider yourself lucky it wasn't more than $35. Either way, it's a cheap lesson.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Offline Sreeni

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 23, 2018, 09:32:30 am »
Thanks for the replies @Giles @scooter @spitfiredealer !

And yes, it is a life lesson, irrespective of what PayPal decides.

I am still looking to buy a few yards of Japanese denim. Apart from dryselvedge.com and Pacific Blue Denims, are there other reliable sellers who sell smaller quantities of selvedge denim?

Thanks!

Offline Sreeni

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 26, 2018, 03:05:25 pm »
Quick update - PayPal decided in my favour. I am going to be more careful and read PayPal's tips for buyers. Thanks again!

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 26, 2018, 07:36:40 pm »
Totally unfair.  I feel very sorry for the "seller", not that he even sold you anything....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline spitfiredealer

• 啓蒙家
  • The Juice was worth the squeeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 26, 2018, 08:36:28 pm »
yeah me too. Seems like you ripped him off

Online Matty123

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 27, 2018, 12:02:47 am »
However... he did pay for shipping and got nothing right? So Shipping was reimbursed? I don’t see big deal.

Offline DrBabyhorse

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 27, 2018, 01:07:03 am »
However... he did pay for shipping and got nothing right? So Shipping was reimbursed? I don’t see big deal.

It’s hard to say since we don’t know what really happened. Assuming the “seller” did actually ship the denim, then this seems like an unfortunate situation for all envolved. Lesson learned for everybody. But if the “seller” never shipped anything, regardless of whether or not the “buyer” paid for tracking, then this is just plain dishonest. In any case, the stakes were low. I think you can chalk it up as a win given the outcome. Always get tracking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 27, 2018, 02:11:37 am »
So the manufacturer shipped 10 yards of fabric (without payment) that disappeared somewhere in international transit.  Now they have to pay for something that isn't their fault?

Yeah, this is what makes people hate PayPal.  But since it's a faceless company that got screwed over, no big deal, I guess.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:14:25 am by Chris »

Offline Sreeni

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 27, 2018, 03:35:46 am »
A few points --

1) It was the seller who proposed to free 8 yards if I could write a few good things about him on networks like Twitter, Instagram, and Reddit. From his perspective, he was giving away a few remaining yards of fabric to get a little attention on the internet. And the seller doesn't have a lot of presence on the internet.

2) I was happy to find someone who didn't have a Minimum Order Quantity. So I was willing to pay the price of the fabric.

3) It was the postal company which lost the package. The seller should be claiming compensation from them, IMO. There must be some compensation, albeit low, for non-delivery where tracking hasn't been enabled.

4) I spent more than three months chasing the seller. I was even ready for any deal for lighter fabrics as long as I got some discount for the money I had lost. I had to escalate it simply because I didn't hear anything from the seller and it was over 120 days since the transaction. I did my best to settle this amicably.

5) According to PayPal's rules, the buyer is protected in case of non-delivery. It makes no mention of tracking.  https://www.paypal.com/in/webapps/mpp/paypal-buyer-protection

6) Finally, it was the seller who offered me the option of shipping without tracking. It was he who chose the Postal Company which lost the package.

I rest my case. Thank you!

Offline BD81

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:02 pm »
Can Anyone in canada give me an idea on how much i am going to get dinged on import fees for 2 to 3 pairs of pants?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:58:30 pm by BD81 »

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: February 21, 2019, 09:34:49 pm »
Can Anyone in canada give me an idea on how much i am going to get dinged on import fees for 2 to 3 pairs of pants?
@theorocks ?

Offline Shoreman

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: February 21, 2019, 11:34:20 pm »

Are you importing the pants into Canada? If so, total damage will depend on the overall declared value of the items and method of shipment. Anything over a declared value of $50 and you’re looking at whatever your provincial sales tax is + federal and, if it’s being shipped by one of the big three (UPS, Fed EX, DHL) you can tack on an additional brokerage fee, which can vary. (Again, a % of the declared value of the shipment.)
Meek, mild and dishonest with a special place in Hell.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: February 22, 2019, 03:20:24 am »
If importing from IHUK, there should be no import tax as we are covered by the CETA agreement.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:00:08 am by Giles »