Hi, Guest

Author Topic: 12oz Differences  (Read 617 times)

Offline wdw

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
12oz Differences
« on: June 04, 2018, 01:29:22 pm »
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. 

I did a big wash of some IH shirts at the weekend and was surprised (again) as to how different some of my 12oz ones felt.

The 62-blk was by far the stiffest, followed by the 07 and 85, with the two 33s (ind/blk) being almost silky in comparison. 

What makes the 62 and 07/85 so heavy feeling and stiff?  Some magic in the weave?

And is the 62-ind as stiff as the blk?

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: 12oz Differences
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2018, 06:18:34 pm »
Different dyes alter the characteristics of the yarn, so it is entirely possible that a black sulphur dyed yarn will feel different from the same yarn dyed with indigo.  The number of dips will also change the character of the yarn.  Then other variables are: how tight the yarn is twisted,  the type of twill weave and the tension used in the weaving.

All contribute to the feel and the apparent weight of the fabric.

"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline wdw

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
Re: 12oz Differences
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2018, 07:15:34 pm »
Thanks @Giles.  I didn't realise dye could make a difference.  It's quite something how different all the same weights feel.  There must be something about thickness, as I can roll my 33 sleeves up to the elbows, but not the heavier-feeling thicker ones.  One of life's mysteries...