Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Electronics and other gadgets  (Read 887 times)

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
Electronics and other gadgets
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:14:59 pm »
I dunno, maybe there are other nerds here.

The following items have reduced a big bag of cables, batteries, and wall chargers to a svelte configuration of a single case and a small brick in the wall charger pocket of my laptop rucksack while offering more flexibility and capability of keeping my stuff charged, which is great for travel and off-grid excursions.

Aukey wall charger

I use this to charge my laptop and other things that require significant power, and to wall charge any other device. The USB-C Power Delivery (PD) port is 46W and it charges my Dell ultrabook quickly. I can also use it to charge my Pixel 2 quickly. It also includes a QuickCharge 3.0 USB port for charging compatible devices rapidly, and then a standard USB port for charging pretty much any device. The flexibility of this has made it a great travel replacement for a couple of wall chargers, including the one that shipped with my laptop. Recommended if you are trying to reduce your travel load out.

Specifications
Input: AC 100–240V
USB-C Output: (PDO) 5V 3A, 9V 3A, 12V 3A, 15V 3A, 20V 2.3A; (PPS) 3V–21V 3A
USB Output 1 (AiPower): 5V 2.1A Max
USB Output 2 (Quick Charge 3.0): 3.6V–6.5V 3A, 6.5V–9V 2A, 9V–12V 1.5A
Total Power Output: 74.5W
Dimensions: 100 x 77 x 31mm / 3.93” x 3.04” x 1.2”
Weight: 218g / 7.69oz

Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD with 30W Power Delivery Charger

The PowerCore+ can rapidly charge my Pixel, can drip charge my laptop to extend the battery, can QuickCharge compatible devices, and can fairly rapidly charge any other device. The battery lasts a lot and is great for extended trips and camping. I also use it around the house when I want to charge my phone but don't want to be anchored to the wall.

The wall charger is great because it can juice up this massive battery in about 4 hours--a normal charger would take maybe 5 times that length of time to do so. It can also rapidly charge my phone, and can charge other devices if I need an additional wall charger.

Just under 100Wh so no TSA issues.

Only gripe is no pass-through charging (charge while being charged).

Specifications
Product Dimensions   6.5 x 3.1 x 0.9 inches
Item Weight   1.27 pounds
Dual 5V/3A USB ports with PowerIQ
Single two-way USB-C port with PD

Carrying case for the battery and charger above

Padded, secure, and helps with cable organization. Where they have an iPhone in the above image, I keep my 3-in-one (next item below) and other cables. I'll often zip 3 sides of the case and have cables snaking out of the top to charge items--the case zips from the correct side to do this. I keep a thick rubber band around it so that I can attach devices that I'm charging to the exterior of the case. This is the largest of 3 sizes offered and can only fit into the main cavity of my bag, unfortunately.

LinkOn Multi USB Charger Cable 2m/6.6ft/6ft Universal Adapter Cord 3 in 1 Nylon Braided,Type C,Micro and lightning

Long cable that can allows me to use my USB ports to charge anything (does not support rapid charge for USB-C).
Think it, be it.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
Re: Electronics and other gadgets
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2019, 11:18:07 pm »
Very cool! Thank you!

Offline louisbosco

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 04:44:21 am »
i'm trying to slowly switch over to usb c/ thunderbolt 3 now.. a lot of the time, i'll stick with apple's 29w usbc for my iphone and the 87w for my macbook pro for charging.. any recommendations for portable usb c ssd hard disk?

i did however recommend this to alex before and also for anyone who's using a macbook pro with usb c only. works a charm and very handy when travelling..

https://www.amazon.com.au/Satechi-Aluminum-Type-C-Adapter-Thunderbolt/dp/B06XRVX3XM

"91lsaIPaVUL._SL1500_.jpg"
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 04:04:01 pm »
No recommendation on a hard drive, as the only computer I use these days is a work computer to which I can't attach external storage due to security policies. Love that cable, @Giles  may need to get one for lighter excursions. I have some batteries that size but the integrated cable is a great idea.
Think it, be it.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 05:04:17 pm »
Does my vape count? I basically have one permanently attached to my hand...
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 09:13:45 pm »
Sure does, especially if it's a mod  :D
Think it, be it.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:38:12 pm »
Go big or go home

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 04:39:40 pm »
Holy choo choo train!!!
Think it, be it.

Offline Manticore

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 08:27:33 pm »
any recommendations for portable usb c ssd hard disk?

@louisbosco, I'm a big fan of the Samsung T5 portable SSD. I have a few of the 1TB versions for work, personal, and backups. Blazingly fast with USB-C and still very fast with USB-C to USB 3.0.

Offline louisbosco

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 07:05:47 am »

@louisbosco, I'm a big fan of the Samsung T5 portable SSD. I have a few of the 1TB versions for work, personal, and backups. Blazingly fast with USB-C and still very fast with USB-C to USB 3.0.

@Manticore yeah i've been hearing some good stuff about those. have you read up anything about the glyph atom?
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 04:05:16 pm »
This is going to make it's way into my pocket when it's released

Surefire Stiletto Pro. 1000 lumens in an easy to pocket package

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 06:52:21 pm »
After thinking I would wind up with an Apple MBP13, got a Dell Latitude XPS 13 clamshell. This thing is great. Very fast, battery lasts forever, great fit and finish. I decided against the 2 in 1 because I don't need the touchscreen and don't want to compromise on the keyboard to get it.

I love that it fits into my USB-C PD ecosystem so well too--I can keep going for quite some time before I need a wall socket.

If anyone needs an ultrabook that doesn't suffer from a lot of the typical ultrabook compromises, this one warrants a gander.

"IMG_20191024_140458.jpg"
Think it, be it.

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 11:22:02 pm »
I'm seriously considering the Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 myself.

The recently announced Surface Pro X also looks interesting, but would mean going down the ARM route. I'm not sure how that'll turn out.