Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion  (Read 17635 times)

Offline Matty123

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion
« Reply #315 on: March 27, 2020, 02:38:58 pm »
So a bunch of my coworkers have put together a group grocery list so we can all get what we need. We live across a section of Maryland that's maybe 35 miles apart. Because we live in different areas and go to the store at different times, there are restocks of different items. When we can get something for someone else, we let them know and we're going to get together on the weekend when the markets are crowded and exchange.
I'm able to get most of the meats and fresh vegetables at an Asian market not far from me but I can't get prepackaged foods.
One of my coworkers is able to get dog supplies for me.
One of my coworkers got me a couple cans of Spam (don't judge me).Someone got me a couple bottles of Drano (I don't know why the Drano is all gone, but I have a clog in the sink that I shave in that won't go away)
This is actually working out pretty well. I think we all got what we needed. I don't actually *need* anything as my fridge and freezer are fully stocked, but I'm happy to help out my friends and there are a couple of odds and ends that are "nice to haves."

Just sharing a strategy to those that are finding themselves surrounded by bare shelves.

Just a friendly question Doug but have you cleaned the trap in your sink? And have you removed the drain plug? I assume you have a plug that goes up and down with a rod that sits behind the water spout? Very often there is buildup and things stuck there that draino doesn’t remove. I manage a few properties and I often avoid the plumber with these issues
Maybe so. Maybe not

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion
« Reply #316 on: March 27, 2020, 02:42:27 pm »
Yes, the shaving cream builds up on those spots. I just hate cleaning it, and a couple drano max applications usually fixes the issue.

Sorry, I meant when I said it won’t go away that it keeps coming back. I can resolve the issue with drano.

I really hate cleaning the trap
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 27, 2020, 02:44:03 pm »
In Maryland they’re putting limits on tp, hand sanitizer, bottled water and diapers.

I did not mention those, as there are none on the shelves, so rationing not needed..... :D :D :D
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2020, 02:50:44 pm »
Well, for all you buttholes that thought I’m a weirdo for prepping, this is my menu at my house for the next week:

Smoked St. Louis style ribs
Smoked duck
Korean bbq
Picanha
Beef stew
Smoked short ribs

One day we’ll get take out from our favorite burger place

I have enough stocked for four weeks minimum

Nyah Nyah!

Offline Stuart.T

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 27, 2020, 04:35:52 pm »
I went to a small local supermarket this morning at 8.30 after the school run. I could have got priority access over the elderly people queuing in front of me. The guy at the door offered for me to jump the que. I thanked him but said not a fucking chance.

There was plenty for everyone and everything was fully stocked.

We have always used an organic fruit and veg box delivery scheme. They have given priority delivery to existing customers, so we are OK for the time being.

Advice for people in the UK. Service stations that have M&S food shops are fully stocked and deserted. I pop in to one on my way back from work yesterday at 8pm and there was me and the cashier. I felt weird.

Offline Streetwise Hercules

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2020, 05:22:34 pm »
When things were really getting ridiculous I’d thought about the BP / M&S option. If that proved fruitless (Ithangyou) my Plan C was to jump on a motorway and try a service station.

It’s all much more civilised now, I’m happy to report.

Twats.

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2020, 12:39:12 am »
My mom lives in northern Japan and she told me not all schools are closed and that even restaurants are open. She said that it’s up to each prefecture to decide on closures, kinda like how each state decides here in the US. She went on a bit of a rant about the young people in Japan not taking the pandemic seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline steelworker

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 28, 2020, 02:00:15 am »
Has it been like that or is everyone in a panic because Boris just tested positive?

Either way it's a good idea.  Especially for all those elderly people right in front of you.
It's been like that for about a week.  I had not seen it before as I was in hibernation self-isolation

In a lot of the supermarkets, they have a special hour for the elderly and key-workers, when no one else is allowed to shop.

Things on ration (that I noticed) today:

Tomato purée - 1 per person
Biscuits - 1 pack per person
Beer - 4 per person
Wine - 3 per person
Biscuits, beer, and wine, I get. Tomato puree though-
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2020, 05:00:04 am »
My mom lives in northern Japan and she told me not all schools are closed and that even restaurants are open. She said that it’s up to each prefecture to decide on closures, kinda like how each state decides here in the US. She went on a bit of a rant about the young people in Japan not taking the pandemic seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah but i feel like japan will be alright through all this. the people there have a much better civic mindedness than us. the citizens there tend to play their personal role in combatting this pandemic. i've been reading a lot of articles about how taiwan has managed to circumvent using lockdowns in it's measures and a lot of it comes down to the people there playing their part in the measures they take.

Biscuits, beer, and wine, I get. Tomato puree though-

tomato puree is used often in stews.  i suppose that's why maybe..
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Stuart.T

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: March 28, 2020, 07:13:36 am »
Some shops are strictly 1 of each item, some are strictly 2.i wanted to buy a 4 pint bottle of milk for us, and a 2 pint for my parents in the CO OP but was told I could only buy 1.i said I understood, and asked how I could then also buy supplies for my elderly parents. I was told I could leave the store and the return in a while to buy more..
Seriously, so a) I could buy a whole 2nd round of groceries, which could basically be for me and B) spend even more time than is necessary transmitting the virus to more shoppers (if I was a carrier, which as far as I know, I'm not).

Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary has also tested positive... At this rate the whole cabinet will drop, and Corbyn will be Prime minister after all  :D

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2020, 08:47:25 am »
With Japan, the truth is that we have no idea. The best indicators I have seen are those that trace the daily COVID deaths, starting all the curves at the same point (generally at the day the country hit 10 deaths). Unfortunately they are imperfect because many countries do not report the full COVID death number (e.g., France only counts deaths at hospitals). They are also a lagging indicator. It's very easy for countries to underreport the number of cases, willingly or not.

Japan has some things going for it, like the widespread use of masks, the fact that most people don't routinely shake hands, etc. It also has elements going against it like the high population density. In the past, the governments and media were rather less transparent than in the US; I'm not sure if it's still the case.

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2020, 09:55:38 am »
With Japan, the truth is that we have no idea. The best indicators I have seen are those that trace the daily COVID deaths, starting all the curves at the same point (generally at the day the country hit 10 deaths). Unfortunately they are imperfect because many countries do not report the full COVID death number (e.g., France only counts deaths at hospitals). They are also a lagging indicator. It's very easy for countries to underreport the number of cases, willingly or not.

Japan has some things going for it, like the widespread use of masks, the fact that most people don't routinely shake hands, etc. It also has elements going against it like the high population density. In the past, the governments and media were rather less transparent than in the US; I'm not sure if it's still the case.

from all the new measures like distancing and stringent hygienic routines (which don't get me wrong is also important), the biggest takeaway i have so far on this ongoing issue by seeing how most countries deal with this is that contact tracing is the key and it is (or was) the most important issue on keeping cases low and stoping spread.

it worries me a lot when countries admit that they cannot link a case back to its source or that they have no idea where certain case numbers have been or be in contact with. because in that situation, there could be mega clusters that they have no idea about.

it might be easy to say this is perfect for smaller countries like singpaore and taiwan and it also might be a whole different ball game for a bigger one. sad to say, most didn't realise or implement it early enough before things spiral out of control.
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2020, 10:54:58 am »
@louisbosco I largely agree with you. I believe that the largest failing of Western democracies so far has been the lack of fast testing.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 28, 2020, 01:01:22 pm »
Re: tomato puree

People tend to gravitate towards comfort foods in times of crisis. We go through a fair share of it when there's stuff going on, tomato soup and grilled cheese gives me the warm fuzzies.

Maybe the same in the UK?

Offline Streetwise Hercules

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 28, 2020, 01:57:02 pm »
Booze.