Hi, Guest

Author Topic: RATS - Selvedge Denim Pants - Washed Indigo  (Read 675 times)

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
RATS - Selvedge Denim Pants - Washed Indigo
« on: March 31, 2021, 02:30:14 pm »

The RATS classic 5-pocket jeans are constructed from a 13.5oz, red-eared selvedge denim that is woven on old power looms in Kojima, a town in the Okayama prefecture globally recognised for its production of high-quality denim. The denim has a vintage texture and characteristics, and by rigorously washing the fabric post-construction they have given the jeans a realistic, timeworn fade. Cut in a straight fit with a mid-rise, finished with RATS trademark “rat tail” arcuate on the back pockets, branded top button and rivets, zip fly and leather brand patch on the waistband.

"_IH28024-Edit-2.jpg"

"_IH28026-Edit-2.jpg"

"_IH28030.jpg"

AVAILABLE NOW

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: RATS - Selvedge Denim Pants - Washed Indigo
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 09:25:42 pm »
need these to rock with my sun surf shirts... what IH cut would you closest compare this to? 634s? Thanks!

Offline Graham

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2021, 09:58:18 am »
@Appfaff These are so comfortable, you won't want to take them off!

Definitely most similar to the 634.
FW21 wishlist:

-?-?-?-?-?-

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 06:48:52 pm »
do you have any fit pics by chance @Graham ??

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 03:41:08 pm »
FYI, for anyone considering these, the fabric is crazy nice. They did a REALLY nice job doing a very authentic wash. They look very similar to some of the vintage 501s that Alessandro Squarzi (owner of Fortela) posts on his IG.

I'll do my best to post up some pics in the next day or so.

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 04:09:58 pm »
Looking forward to your pics of these Adam

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 09:34:56 pm »
OK, so shoutout to @Alex and @Chesson for their assistance on these jeans. Since this is the first (of now two) "washed" offerings from Sonders, I wanted to offer some insight into the different ways this could be styled, as well as fit, fabric, etc.

First off, the Fabric - the fabric feels very dense, smooth and regular, but has a very soft hand to it, as well as inherent stretch due to the washing effect. They are definitely in their "shrunken" state when they arrive, and stretch out where it needs it, relatively quick. The selvedge has a very authentic vintage shade to it, very similar to vintage 501s, and the roping and traintracks are extremely pronounced - which is a cool feature.

Sizing: As I am in between 36 and 38 in my IH jeans, and the back rise of these are relatively low for the waist and hem, I opted for the XL, which gave me a no nonsense fit similar to a snug size 38 634s. @Graham had mentioned above that the fit is similar to a 634, and seeing as the 1966 501 is the most common repro cut for the japanese market alongside the 1947, I would say with confidence that these are nearly identical in fit to my Warehouse 1966 repros, perhaps with less attention given to the appropriate taper that normally accompanies a 66 cut.

Fit: As mentioned below, there is definitely a lot of vintage Levi's influence seen immediately in the fit, however, as RATS uses a S M L XL sizing, there is a bit of variance over proportions. I found the Size XL to be ideal for me, as the measures were an oversized 36, however if you are a in between sizes, and the thigh works for you, sizing down should be an option.

Seeing as these have a relatively large hem, especially on my size, I feel like a really sharp hem would be ideal, as there is extra fabric around the ankles - which works on raw denim due to rigidity, but something to be aware of when wearing these. As the processing starch wears away, I way realize they drape more favorably with no cuff (as seen below in both small turn-up and tight double cuff examples).

A Denimhead's feelings towards washed jeans: If they are ethically made, use quality denim, and YOU like them - who the F&*& cares if they are washed :)

Now the moment you have been waiting for:

Typical Greaser Vibes
"IMG_1986.jpg"

Workwear Aesthetic
"IMG_1982.jpg"

Since they are 90s inspired, I had to hit em with the "dadcore" fit with the 9L cuban shirt and the Radiall Conquistas
"IMG_1976.jpg"

Cheers,

Adam

Offline Graham

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2021, 09:38:42 pm »
Frikkin love them, looking wicked @Appfaff  8) 8) 8)
FW21 wishlist:

-?-?-?-?-?-

Offline Fadez

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 10:26:40 pm »
Lovely review Adam. I actually really like these jeans a lot. Now just to convince the wife I need another 2-3 pairs of jeans... if they’re still around in September. Definitely getting myself a birthday pair 

Offline jordanscollected

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2021, 10:27:02 pm »
@Appfaff
Those are really cool Adam, and to me look best in the Greaser example. I think your currently for sale Chambray unbuttoned would compliment that nicely.

I'm not a sandal guy aside from "taking the trash out flip flops", but these would make great casual sandals jeans too.

Minnesota, USA

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 01:20:19 am »
Cheers @Graham - did you snag yourself a pair??

@Fadez - thanks brother - I think you would definitely get some wear out of these and could rock them really well. I am going to try to style them with some Jordan 1s in my closet and see if the slightly chunkier sneaker is a good option. I also have some Air Monarchs (technically MKII Technos) so I can go totally #dadlife on em lol

@jordanscollected - kind words dude, much appreciated. I agree, the current cuffs + chucks and White tee is definitely the most flattering (and possibly easiest) outfit to use. However, I bought these to kind of challenge myself to break out of the norm and try new things. I'm excited to rock them this summer as shown, but also give loafers and other things a shot. Ironically, I live at the beach, but don't wear/own sandals other than my carwash flipflops.. If I wear anything, it's some Five Fingers I wear Paddleboarding. I may go full boomer and get some birk sandals tho :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 02:20:46 am by Appfaff »

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 07:25:51 am »
Thanks so much for the review @Appfaff

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 11:13:25 pm »
Sure thing Alex! I’ll do my best to share additional styling experiments with them.. both winners and possibly not winners lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Anesthetist

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 02:44:52 am »
So they look surprisingly good to me. All 3 of your pics are good but the  pic with the engineer boots looks is my favorite. Really well done Adam.

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 02:46:06 am »
Thanks bud!