Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Giles' Kayak......  (Read 4806 times)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Giles' Kayak......
« on: April 27, 2021, 12:26:15 pm »
So, I love fishing.

Covid has meant that going to some of the remote and far-off places that I like to fish has been impossible, So I have ordered a kayak, a Hobie Outback, so that I am not restricted to fishing from the shore. 

It is due here in a couple of weeks.  Covid has severely screwed up production, and Brexit has severely screwed up European distribution, so in the UK at the moment, finding a new one is like finding rocking-horse shit, and the secondhand market has gone ballistic.

I wheedled my way into the UK importers' good-books,  and they managed to get what I wanted into a container from the US which is due here in a week or two.  It's not my first choice colour, but beggars can't be choosers.

I have stuff to do before it arrives, and probably quite a lot between taking delivery and putting it on the water so I'll try and document it here.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:25:21 pm by Giles »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: Giles' Kayak......
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2021, 01:01:52 pm »
Todays job is creating a waterproof battery box and connectors for the Navigation/Fish Finder.

I bought a Lithium/Phosphate battery.  It's rated at 10Ah, is tiny, and only weighs about 700gms...It's going to be installed in a locknlock waterproof food container....And stopped from rattling around, by some cut-down gardeners knee-pad foam....

"IMG_9651.JPG"

"IMG_9652.JPG"

« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:25:52 pm by Giles »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline TinMan

• 啓蒙家
  • Now, I have an IRONHEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2021, 04:41:35 pm »
Awesomeness!!  Can’t wait set when your done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TinMan
Now, I have an IRONHEART!!

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2021, 04:52:08 pm »
So this is all I managed to get done today.  I'm waiting on a 22mm flat drill bit to put a hole in top of the locknlock, so I can mount the connector which I need to receive the cable from the fish finder...

From this:
"IMG_9656.JPG"

To this:
"IMG_9657.JPG"

To this:
"IMG_9658.JPG"

Offline TinMan

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2021, 06:55:54 pm »
Lookin good

TinMan

Offline Paul9221

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 07:23:11 pm »
I don't kayak or fish but this is entertaining :D
Blanket-line all the things!!!

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2021, 07:55:01 pm »
hahaha gonna be some mad traffic off the gosport/ Portsmouth coast
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Appfaff

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 09:08:49 pm »
now this is pretty cool!!! I always figured NOT catching fish was part of the experience (Always has been for me) but a fish finder will change the game for sure!

Offline organisys

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2021, 10:57:14 pm »
I have a Canadian Style Canoe, actually it is an Old Town from Maine, US.
I don’t fish but it’s a very pleasant way to spend a summers evening paddle somewhere peaceful with a picnic and a few beers.
Pride of Japan :-)

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2021, 11:18:43 pm »
In Canada, drinking beer or being past the .08 BAC limit while canoeing or kayaking will get you a DUI. 

Offline Paul9221

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2021, 02:55:01 am »
In Canada, drinking beer or being past the .08 BAC limit while canoeing or kayaking will get you a DUI.
Are they encouraging sober fishing or something?!
Blanket-line all the things!!!

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 07:47:34 am »
The closest I ever get to drinking whilst I am fishing is on the way back to shore (yes, there are no jetties where I fish on the east coast :D ) in Madagascar.  It's become a tradition...

But steaming due west at the end of a long day (we do 11 hour fishing days in Mada) and watching the sun go down behind the highlands of Ankarna, without a beer to celebrate, would be just darn rude.....

"AjdSs0bg.jpeg"
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 08:46:10 am by Giles »

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 10:06:23 am »
Decided it would be prudent to check whether what I have done so far was OK.  Jury-rigged the finder to the battery thru a temp chocolate-box connector.....

"IMG_9664.JPG"

And voila.....

"IMG_9663.JPG"

Offline TinMan

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 03:23:38 pm »
and this is while I will never live in Canada

TinMan

Offline TinMan

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 03:24:23 pm »
Decided it would be prudent to check whether what I have done so far was OK.  Jury-rigged the finder to the battery thru a temp chocolate-box connector.....

"IMG_9664.JPG"

And voila.....

"IMG_9663.JPG"
You going to have a solar charger?

TinMan