Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Luggage Bags and Packs  (Read 297740 times)

Offline Steffen

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Luggage Bags and Packs
« Reply #990 on: February 27, 2018, 04:05:48 pm »
Does someone use one the Pelican EL Suitcases?

Offline Anesthetist

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 13, 2018, 02:14:26 pm »
And Wander 20L daypack. Truthfully, I have a lot of day bags, but I wanted something light that would pack well into my SDR set. This one isnt as light as my Gossamer bag but feels a lot more durable. It is also much more water resistant and has a better strap system.
I also looked at Hyperlite and may buy one next time they have a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: May 18, 2018, 08:16:45 pm »
My travel pack out is almost always the same outside of extended trips and outdoor excursions.

Iron Heart jeans. In this case, 14oz OD 666, other occasions 18oz vintage 666.

Layers. Here TFH native check over Tezomeya tee. Vegas is mild today and I'm coming home to a storm.

Acronym J28-E. I use this as a travel jacket universally unless weather requires a hardshell or insulated piece (usually a heavy IH piece makes the latter unnecessary). The large mezzanine pockets are great for devices such as phones and batteries and glasses cases, the small one for things like headphones and lip balm, and the lower pockets can host hands and/or anything from keys to a water bottle. This is softshell, similar to ventile but with a water resistant treatment inside the fibers (not DWR surface treatment).

Acronym/Bagjack 3A-5ts messenger bag. Modular/configurable, weather resistant pack with incredible ergonomics. The bag can expand and compress  according to load. Ventile-like cotton exterior face fabric with a tarpaulin main compartment that velcros in with a back pad and a pocket I use for electronics, and I added a compatible Bagjack laptop sleeve (itself with yet another pocket) as well. There are hidden exterior pockets on either side of the bag and I've attached to the extetior MOLLE webbing an Acronym pouch I use for my water bottle and a Maxpedition bag I use to carry pens and the like. Shoulder strap is adjustable and has a quick release, and there is a stabilizer chest strap as well for when on a bicycle. This is my favorite bag and I use it daily for work as well as for travel. I append another MOLLE bag with bike and tire repair tools when on a bike.

Briggs & Riley carry-on. Great carry-on, holds 3 suits, shoes, dopp kit, and a few days' change of clothes in addition to being compact enough to go over head in the cabin. I do wish it had 4 rotating wheels but is otherwise perfect.
Think it, be it.

Offline Aetas

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: May 18, 2018, 09:17:00 pm »
Great to see you here @mclaincausey !

Offline Cutlasshound

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: May 18, 2018, 09:19:21 pm »
Beautiful set-up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ain't got time to bleed.

Offline Aetas

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:18 pm »
Luggage Bags and Packs-  The end of Winter18

"IMG_0946.JPG"

Offline veloaudio

• 啓蒙家
  • Less is More
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: May 18, 2018, 10:42:23 pm »

I have four items from SDR now including the D3, T1, field kit Higashiyama, and folio and feel like all 4 have been worth the money.

I feel like an enabler, but I'm ok with that

A big fan of my D3. Only luggage I've used for 2+ years.

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: May 18, 2018, 11:16:10 pm »
Thanks chums, good to be back participating again. I was lurking for a bit, definitely missed you crazy cats.
Think it, be it.

Offline browniemcghee

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: May 18, 2018, 11:46:26 pm »
I have always enjoyed your posts, for more than five years.  Thanks for taking the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: May 18, 2018, 11:57:49 pm »
Yours as well my friend; good to be back :)
Think it, be it.

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: May 19, 2018, 03:22:18 am »
welcome back @mclaincausey. You've got your travel setup down. Can tell it's well tested and based on function at it's core. Am sure it took a lot of work to get the perfect setup. For a while I was doing 7-8 international trips a year for work, would always tweak my kit by a few pieces to settle on the perfect rig. Don't think I got it as close as you've got it here..

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: May 19, 2018, 03:31:39 am »
Thanks Snowy, missed ya pal!

I think it's pretty dialed-in from my own days of a lot of travel. I strayed from the Acronym bag in favor of rucksacks for a time, and of course now that it could fetch a fortune on the secondary market have circled back to it and can't imagine WTF I was thinking cheating on it. I also don't understand how a cotton bag has proven to be so durable. You never see the old Limonata Acronym bags in decent cosmetic shape, and I'm not gentle with my gear, and am clumsy with things that stain.

Still have my Gibson bag from you, BTW. His favorite designer is Acronym's Errolson Hugh, and he also loves Japanese denim. He's my spirit animal :D
Think it, be it.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: May 19, 2018, 02:03:38 pm »
I actually asked a Briggs and Riley rep why don't they go with omnidirectional wheels, they said those are the first things to break and no company that has the spinning wheels have a lifetime warranty on their gear.
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: May 19, 2018, 03:24:56 pm »
Interesting, Doug. It makes such a huge difference that I may have to stray from BR. The effort involved in schlepping a bag with them versus the traditional model is exponentially less.
Think it, be it.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: May 19, 2018, 03:30:57 pm »
Jody felt the same way and did the same thing, until two of the wheels of her omnidirectional bag broke on a single trip and she had to drag that thing around.

Now we have three BR bags and I'll prob be getting a fourth for her on her birthday.

A lot of it depends on how much wear and tear your bags go through. Jody is on a plane about 40 times a year.

I use a Pelican case for a suitcase...
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose