Hi, Guest

Author Topic: All Things Mac/ Apple  (Read 129145 times)

tfar

All Things Mac/ Apple
« on: January 08, 2010, 09:26:03 pm »
I just got the toys of toys after T-Mobile screwed me out of a ton of money I changed providers. So for those who are into this, what are your fave apps?

I mostly looked for travel related apps. Flight trackers, packing lists, metro maps and so on. Found some good stuff in free apps.

I also love Pandora and the public radio app. With a 3.5 to cinch (RCA) cable I use it on a real stereo. For news I got Reuters, AP and Bloomberg. They are each a bit different with Bloomberg having a great stock tracker (in case you invest in other things than jeans). Currency and Units are also very practical and work well. All free. Haven't bought a single app yet.

Till

Offline ricochet

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Mac/ Apple
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 10:40:45 pm »
Android  :P

stewart

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 12:06:09 am »
Apple freak here.....never held or used an android so can not judge...but very happy with all things Mac - including Iphone....got first Apple product over 10 years ago when stock px was at $13 - wish I had bought a few shares too !  if IH ever list on TSE‚ I'll buy some for my pension fund (401k for US friends)  :)

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 05:30:53 pm »
I personally don't give a rats ass about the rivalry, but I thought this was pretty funny

I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 05:40:04 pm »
Just installing the Sonos controller app on Paulas iPhone.  It's her Birthday on Tuesday (shes out at the moment), and I have bought her a some Sonos stuff.  I may well be reaching for the strong stuff and pulling my hair out in an hour or so....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 05:53:03 pm »
I've got a bottle of Macallan Elegancia 12 yr over here need be...

tfar

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:32 pm »
Yes, I hear the Sonos stuff can do that. Sleek contraption otherwise. That said, I'd probably rather buy a mac mini as entertainment center device, connect it to an existing stereo via Aux input and control Itunes over the Iphone.

Or get a PS3 and control it over the TV, stream music from your main PC or Mac. I've done that in my theater room. At first it worked well with Mediaplayer as a server but after some firmware updates it stopped working (only for music). I now use PS3 Mediaserver, freeware, and it works fine. The PS3 is really one heck of an entertainment device: Internet, Blu-Ray, CD, DVD, SACD, integrated harddrive, streaming of photos and music, games online or per disc. At this price it's a total no-brainer if you already have a TV and a stereo to which you can connect it.

For a super minimalist set-up a PS3 with a TV that has good speakers would be the perfect system. If the TV speakers aren't sufficient you get get something like Yamaha Soundbar.

Till

stewart

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 08:39:23 pm »
Wireless Apple network at home (Airport Express‚ Apple TV‚ Time Capsule etc) all works a dream.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 09:10:25 pm »
What Till said

I got a PS3 finally a month ago and got so much more than a game system. I download a lot of TV shows in avi format and then move them to the console via thumb drive, and the quality is better than if I converted them to DVD format. Not to mention I'm saving in dvdr costs and time. Love this thing

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »
I now have it all working and I'm in love again
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 06:34:36 pm »
Just given it all to Paula for her birthday.  She is stunned, the music quality is fab (if not true Hi Fidelity).  Not sure she has got her head around the fact the the iTouch with the Sonos App is just acting as the controller, but who cares, it all works and she's a happy bunny.

I also stuck 10,000 photos on the iTouch, so she's now engrossed in memories.

Love it....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 06:39:09 pm by Giles »

tfar

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 07:40:13 pm »
Obviously a successful birthday gift! :) Congrats! To Paula for her birthday and to you for the good gift. Not easy to make a woman happy.

Till

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 10:23:55 pm »
Seriously?

They made an iPhone a lot bigger, made the name a vowel shorter...what's the big deal???

And does anyone else think it sounds like a feminine hygiene product with a usb cord???
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:21:26 pm by LandoCal126 »

stewart

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 10:26:12 pm »
I love it...Apple freak that I am...the 64gb will be mine ! 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:21:48 pm by LandoCal126 »

shubharamani

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 12:07:25 am »
I'm an Apple freak & a Linux freak myself. But I have a Linux (Ubuntu) netbook plus a Macbook Pro already so I'll pass. Note that I ignored the "iPhone Apps" thread -- and that's cuz I use very few, only the most common ones which everyone else uses. I like iPhoto, the film and photography editing tools available for Mac OSX, but I pass on the sanitary napkin, er I mean,  iPad.  I hate Windows though. "I don't do Windows" at all though I hear Windows 7 saves Microsoft's ass.  I'd rather have the IH Type III overdyed jacket than an iPad.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 09:21:57 pm by LandoCal126 »