Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Dyeing an N1/ B2?  (Read 235 times)

Offline chech69

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
Dyeing an N1/ B2?
« on: December 07, 2019, 10:08:22 pm »
(Couldn't find an exact hit on this when searching the forum- thanks for any direct opinions or references here)
I've got a khaki B2 that I love, but would like to possibly dye a different color.  Anybody have any experience or thoughts on whether this would be a difficult/ foolish endeavor? (I'm assuming this would be the same process for an N1).

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Dyeing an N1/ B2?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:54:37 am »
Don’t think I’ve seen it done. Someone waxed one a while back. I’ve seen shirts and jackets bleached or dyed. I’d imagine in would be tricky to get a good result unless you knew what you were doing. You’d need to consider how the alpaca and lining would look too. What colour do you fancy?

Offline chech69

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 03:52:52 pm »
Thanks, Neph!  Yes, I'm suspecting it'd be tricky, particularly to either mask those parts that shouldn't be dyed, or dye those as well and like the result.  Not sure about the desired color!  And I'm pretty sure that whichever color I'd think I wanted would come out different over the khaki, unless I was bleaching first, which would be an added complication.

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 04:00:11 pm »
It’s a tricky job for sure. Perhaps there is someone in your area who does professional dyeing?

Offline UnTucked

• 見習いボス
  • UnTucked Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 04:02:50 pm »
Don’t think I’ve seen it done. Someone waxed one a while back. I’ve seen shirts and jackets bleached or dyed. I’d imagine in would be tricky to get a good result unless you knew what you were doing. You’d need to consider how the alpaca and lining would look too. What colour do you fancy?
I waxed an N-1 and bleached an IH-33-IND..... and I've had a shirt dyed, and tried to dye one on my own.

Not for the faint of heart (or wallet).

Results CANNOT be guaranteed, and you have to be willing to accept that. Most aren't.

But, I'm fairly lackadaisical with my kit... it's part of the journey!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

In search of:
IHJ-30, med.
IHV-03, med.

Offline chech69

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 04:25:23 pm »
It’s a tricky job for sure. Perhaps there is someone in your area who does professional dyeing?

I hadn't considered possibly getting a professional to do it- that's an idea.  I guess I'm first wondering how it might be done- would the alpaca take dye normally?  Is masking some areas even an option?  Do others have experience dyeing IH whipcord?  What would the outcome options even be with such a dark whipcord as the khaki?  I'd definitely want to try the color outcome in a hidden area to see what happens...

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 04:33:07 pm »
@chech69

You could try reaching out to Pigeon Tree Crafting. I coulda swore someone here had some stuff dyed in indigo awhile back from PTC. Wouldn't hurt to ask.
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
Dyeing an N1/ B2?
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 04:43:16 pm »
@chech69

You could try reaching out to Pigeon Tree Crafting. I coulda swore someone here had some stuff dyed in indigo awhile back from PTC. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Pretty sure @UnTucked  had something done, but regardless, that is an excellent suggestion.

As for your other points. Test dyeing a hidden area may be hard. You have to dip and agitate. You’d be better off with a sample to test. This goes for the alapaca too. You could probably mask it but you’d struggle to avoid bleeding. Additionally, the  lining is a mix of alpaca wool and sheep wool. It is possible to dye it but wool and cotton absorb dye differently so the results would be different.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 07:48:16 am by neph93 »

Online Chris

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 03:00:24 am »
I'm an amateur at dyeing, but I don't think there's any way to properly saturate the whipcord without the dye bleeding into the lining.  I think this is an all or nothing project, and as untucked said, there are no guarantees and it's not for the faint of heart.

Offline chech69

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 06:57:26 am »
I'm an amateur at dyeing, but I don't think there's any way to properly saturate the whipcord without the dye bleeding into the lining.  I think this is an all or nothing project, and as untucked said, there are no guarantees and it's not for the faint of heart.
Thanks, Chris. I'm not necessarily averse to a complete dye.  I know I'd have to be prepared to like whichever shade each different part came out with.