Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Hifi, Lofi - Show us What you Listen With......  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Steffen

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
Re: Hifi, Lofi - Show us What you Listen With......
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2018, 12:41:31 am »
Convenience is a huge Point for me too which is why I listen to Vinyl way less then I should.

Speaking of Club Systems, I am always delighted when I step in a Club and hear a really fine tuned Soundsystem, sadly the finest sounding one in Frankfurt is dead and gone, the absolutly massive earth shaking 700.000 Euro JBL VerTec Soundsystem by Legend Steve Dash (Coachella, EDC Las Vegas) that used to be in the Cocoon Club.

The fine british Gentleman from Void Acoustics and Function One produce crazy good Club Sound but sadly at least in germany their products are not seen too often exept in really high profile locations like the Bootshaus in Cologne, the Berghain in Berlin and of course the long running Robert Johnson in Offenbach, People don´t really seem to give a crap, thank you Smartphone Earbuds  :-[

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2018, 12:53:12 am »
I gave all my old 7 inch records and LPs (thousands of dollars of) away to the singer from the band Filth for free. I now just listen to everything on MP3 or digital. If youtube ever goes away I am screwed. I listen to everything I have now on a pair of Bose headphones and some Logitech speakers. I have permanent hearing loss now so everything sounds good.

Offline organisys

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2018, 12:48:34 pm »
Convenience is a huge Point for me too which is why I listen to Vinyl way less then I should.

Speaking of Club Systems, I am always delighted when I step in a Club and hear a really fine tuned Soundsystem, sadly the finest sounding one in Frankfurt is dead and gone, the absolutly massive earth shaking 700.000 Euro JBL VerTec Soundsystem by Legend Steve Dash (Coachella, EDC Las Vegas) that used to be in the Cocoon Club.

The fine british Gentleman from Void Acoustics and Function One produce crazy good Club Sound but sadly at least in germany their products are not seen too often exept in really high profile locations like the Bootshaus in Cologne, the Berghain in Berlin and of course the long running Robert Johnson in Offenbach, People don´t really seem to give a crap, thank you Smartphone Earbuds  :-[

I can't talk sound systems with my father in law when I see him. He has had a respected career designing and spec'ing some great systems, from Glastonbury to the Royal Albert Hall, to Super Yachts.

If I show any interest in speaking about it, I am stuck there for an hour, while he tells me stories and drops knowledge bombs.... We are all trying to convince him to write a book, but he is still in demand to work !

8)

edit : JBL were awesome back in the early 90s, I remember a great setup I heard in (I think) Es Paradis, in Ibiza. Circular dance floor, with huge JBL bins and stacks round it  :P
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:52:16 pm by organisys »

Offline Chris

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2018, 01:16:24 pm »
I have permanent hearing loss now so everything sounds good.
Same here. Tinnitus renders high quality audio useless.

Offline organisys

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2018, 01:19:47 pm »
I have permanent hearing loss now so everything sounds good.
Same here. Tinnitus renders high quality audio useless.

Hi frequency loss, medically confirmed. Nurse even said to me "Have you been exposed to any noisy environments?"

"Yes, I have, 10 years of Raves, Nightclubs and DJ'ing"

"That will do it !! ", she said with a shake of the head  :D

:-[

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2018, 01:57:01 pm »
Can I play? (Me too...). In Norway they call it «gubbehørsel» or old fart hearing.

Offline Stuart.T

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2018, 02:38:45 pm »
I ALWAYS made sure I wore ear plugs when going to see bands, being in bands, or going to clubs. My friends used to laugh at me. They now have serious tinnitus (one of them contributed to a national research study, and for a time his tinnitus was so bad he felt suicidal). 8 have occasional tinnitus but my hearing is generally ok.

With regards to high end hifi, I always used to popo it until I sat in a sound room in an appointment only hifi store in central London (while only waiting for a pair of speaker cables to be made up). The demo guy played me a £20,000 home hifi system. It blew me away. The soundstanging was insane.

That said, the performance of a system will always be limited to the room/environment in which it is used, and the audio literacy of the listener. As with all things, understanding and taste can be developed over years of listening, just like appreciation of good food, drink, and anything of high quality. High cost does not always equate to high quality either.

Offline Fadez

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2018, 03:06:23 pm »
Hey everyone. This thread is pretty cool. I’m a big Audio guy so here is my set up!

So I use my MacBook Pro to make and listen to music. It’s gets sent through my Apogee Duet to Focal Alpha 55s propped up on some Auralex foam. And if I need to be quiet that I listen on my DT880 open back head phones. Hope you enjoy

Offline Bfd70

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2019, 01:27:21 pm »
"31E71740-4722-42F8-9044-76347801A7CC.jpeg"

No school like the old school.

Offline organisys

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2019, 01:08:55 pm »
Considering some upgrades.....

Offline organisys

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2019, 12:45:10 pm »
Some nice Bowers and Wilkins floor standers added. Next a new amp I think, maybe a Bluesound streamer.
I added a Tidal subscription too, well worth it.
 :)

Offline Stuart.T

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2019, 06:34:35 pm »
Ooh, nice, I only have BW headphones but they are very good. Any pics soon?