Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Bread - What are you baking today.....  (Read 61386 times)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: Bread - What are you baking today.....
« Reply #1290 on: May 12, 2021, 02:35:49 pm »
Wow, they look great.  When do you add the caraway and garlic?

And without being rude, I love the rustic look of those, I think it's a mark of a professional cook that you can do this.  I'd spend an inordinate amount of time trying to ensure perfect visual consistency....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 02:37:34 pm by Giles »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline jordanscollected

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
Re: Bread - What are you baking today.....
« Reply #1291 on: May 12, 2021, 04:04:34 pm »
I add the Caraway seed and granulated garlic when I first mix the starter, water and flour. Alternately, you can sprinkle the caraway seeds on top after you egg brush, but I shrug my shoulders and do whatever I want.

Regarding the visual, i simply dump my dough in a round and hack off pieces that seem fairly uniform with my bench knife, and set them in a loose clump so they are easily pulled apart after baking. It's like a classic Parker house roll as seen below(not sure if they are popular in the UK).
"parker house rolls.jpg"

My wife is responsible for the focus on the rustic look, and it's really evident in her chocolate chip cookies. she portions them, rolls them in a ball, and then breaks it in half inverts it so it look free form. People always comment on how "homemade" they look.

Minnesota, USA