Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone here play video games?  (Read 160837 times)

Online AdamJ

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone here play video games?
« Reply #1305 on: August 18, 2020, 04:25:24 pm »
@Filthy Will the new generation consoles not have something similar to FreeSync or G-Sync that you currently get with AMD or nVidia graphics cards? Which stops sreen tearing etc at high frame and/or refresh rates
The devil is in the detail..

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: August 18, 2020, 05:50:10 pm »
@Flannel thanks but my TV is already eArc compliant. I think it will work great now actually.

@AdamJ yes they use the VRR as I have mentioned. But your TV or monitor will have to have a display port or HDMI 2.1 to take full advantage of VRR. The LG CX OLED does Freesync, Gsync and VRR. It's just the speed is 10 instead of 12 gbps per lane for the above stated reason. Now that I see the xbox specs I am satisfied. It will be pretty unusual for anything to use a full 12 bit signal. Maybe Dolby Vison will with HDR on. But if you look closely the xbox has DSC so it is a moot point anyway. So you still will be able to get true 4:4:4 chroma with compression.

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: August 18, 2020, 11:21:13 pm »
I was discussing my TV with one of the guys from HDTV Test and he pointed out that most TVS especially OLED ones have 10 bit native display panels. So pretty much any TV you can buy now that's not $40k can only display 10 bits. So full HDMI 2.1 bandwidth really isn't necessary. So far Dobly Vision 12 is the only 12 bit HDMI source.

Offline neversummer

• Haraki-san Prodigy
  • Ice cream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: August 19, 2020, 02:59:39 am »
@Filthy not related, but glad to see you back.

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: August 19, 2020, 03:02:43 am »
@neversummer thanks man. I lurk sometimes. But I don't always posts because I don't have anything to say or I feel like garbage.

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: August 19, 2020, 03:09:18 am »
If you want to see something genuinely disturbing... check this out:

Usually games like this aren't my cup of tea but the Dungeons and Dragons aspect of this is fascinating to me because I never had any friends to play it with. I had a few manuals and game books because I thought the art was cool in them. But I never had the rules to try and figure out how to play. This was in the early 80s before the internet...

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: August 19, 2020, 09:26:41 am »
Icky @Filthy, very icky. But pretty cool... I like the way they integrate the rule set and dice rolling. Looks promising.

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: August 19, 2020, 11:15:18 am »
Yeah I was expecting the brain to come alive and spout legs and tendrils. The narration is very unsettling too.

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: August 19, 2020, 11:27:45 am »
Did you ever play Dragon Age? There was some pretty grim stuff in that too...

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: August 19, 2020, 10:56:20 pm »
Did you ever play Dragon Age? There was some pretty grim stuff in that too...
I played one of them. Wasn't my cup of tea. The Bethesda RPGs kind of ruined games like that for me. Oblivion was a high water mark for high fantasy RPGs in my humble opinion.

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: August 20, 2020, 04:58:39 am »
Agreed on both counts @Filthy I played them before Skyrim and haven’t touched them since that came out. There is a story line in Dragon Age: Origins that has implied and actual screen gore/torture that really turned my stomach.

Online Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: August 22, 2020, 10:58:18 am »
Just... watch it.

Offline dinobarnesberlin

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: August 22, 2020, 11:55:58 am »
This looks promising -- weird thing is, during this whole VID duration ive been playing way less than I used to.
If the end quality matches up with this I would give it a try.

Offline Filthy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: August 26, 2020, 03:02:00 am »
Black Myth looks so cool. But I just hope it isn't relegated to being one of those super difficult Demon Souls-like games.

Here's Digital Trends' review of my TV I was talking about in case you are wondering. I think Caleb gets a few things wrong in the review, like the C9 does have Gsync but it doesn't have Freesync. And he mentions black crush, but I haven't noticed it because I use the TV exclusively in Instant Game Response mode with the OLED light to 100 and contrast to 100. So, the image is always bright and vibrant. I could go into a lot more things but it's probably not worth it.

The only thing I don't like about the TV is it smells funny sometimes (like a hair perm maybe) and how shiny the screen is. It reflects almost any light source.

Online Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: September 04, 2020, 05:50:40 am »
TONY HAWK PRO SKATER 1 + 2 REMASTERED - glowing reviews on Kotaku and IGN so I ordered it. Delivered tomorrow at work, so I can't wait to start playing it on Sunday...

https://kotaku.com/tony-hawks-pro-skater-1-2-the-kotaku-review-1844937925