Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Triathlon  (Read 191 times)

Offline Nkwkfld

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
Triathlon
« on: May 08, 2021, 05:23:41 pm »
Seeing as there are a few posts about triathlon but no topic, here we go.

Today did some training for the Huntsman Triathlon in the New Forest (UK). This'll be my first event. Intended to to approximate the race at site but weather was awful, so did the swim in the actual lake only. Had some gear issues: swim socks falling off, goggles strap ripped. Then came home to bike on zwift and did the distance with added 600 meters elevation. Followed that by a run outside in the rain and wind. Hoping for better weather at the event in a couple weeks, but pleased as this is the first time I've tried all three disciplines and it went ok. Looking forward to hearing about others' pursuits.

"IMG_3909.jpeg"
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:33:39 pm by Nkwkfld »

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
Re: Triathlon
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 06:48:51 pm »
I think @cander49 and @Brock do this kind of thing. Great thread, hope to read and learn about this. The only insight I have into it is via an ex-girlfriend from way back who used to do the Iron Man thing. It seems like lunacy to me and something I'd be awful at, but I have enormous respect for those that do it, or are intending to.
Get ahead, go figure, go ahead and pull the trigger,
Everything under the gun.

Offline Chris

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 09:21:08 pm »
Good call to do a dress rehearsal and get your gear issues out of the way. Nothing sucks like equipment failures during a race.

I'm not a tri guy, primarily because I just don't like biking, but the swim/run portion has always appealed to me. I'll be following any updates you feel like sharing.  Oh yeah- good luck in the Huntsman.

Offline cander49

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 03:01:36 pm »
I think @cander49 and @Brock do this kind of thing. Great thread, hope to read and learn about this. The only insight I have into it is via an ex-girlfriend from way back who used to do the Iron Man thing. It seems like lunacy to me and something I'd be awful at, but I have enormous respect for those that do it, or are intending to.

I'm afraid I don't bike or swim! Running alone is enough for me!  :D

Offline simmosn

• Haraki-san Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 03:16:57 pm »
I did Ironman UK a few years ago - came at it as a complete novice in all 3 events, but loved the process of focusing on something for the best part of 9 months. It wasn't pretty but I got round OK.

I'd like to have another go at some point and fix all the rookie mistakes I made. Main one would be spending more time on the bike. Makes sense when you think about it as this is there you'll spend the majority of your time on the day

The only thing you can't really prepare for is the mass swim start. Being kicked in the head from every direction is, umm, interesting :p

Offline jordanscollected

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 10:20:09 pm »
sounds like a night at the bar in Soho, London

Being kicked in the head from every direction is, umm, interesting :p
Minnesota, USA

Offline Nkwkfld

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 03:06:56 pm »
Last big training day one week before the event next Sunday. Did swim, bike, and run today of same distance as race, but with much less effort than I’ll put in next week. Will have a light week of training to get fresh. Mostly that’ll mean base pace with a bit of race level efforts to get the body used to the specific feel. Conventional wisdom is a longer taper but I’m looking at this Olympic distance race as just more training for the longer 70.3 I’m doing in august. Trying to get my head around transitions, which will be tricky in the cold. Really looking forward to the challenge.