Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races  (Read 70289 times)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races
« Reply #360 on: November 08, 2020, 09:55:54 am »
Vendee Globe 2020 starts in approx 2 hours.  Come on Alex, bring it home this time (ffs).....

https://www.vendeeglobe.org/en
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 08, 2020, 12:16:39 pm »
40 minute delay to the start.....

"2020-11-08_1215.png"
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline hajduk

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 08, 2020, 01:11:15 pm »
Was reading few articles these last days about the Vendée. Race extremely popular in France.
The latest generation Imoca monohulls display incredible potential. Full carbon. Flying over the waves, they could allow the Vendée Globe time to drop below the 70-day markAmazing!!
Now the skippers can check quasi everything from inside the boat. In the cabin totally hermetic/closed. Lot of electronics devices.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
"Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have" James Baldwin.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 09, 2020, 02:38:47 pm »
If you have any interest in sailing, the Vendee or Alex, you must watch this...

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile

Offline adam313

• 啓蒙家
  • Everyday Evolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 09, 2020, 07:56:48 pm »
This was an excellent documentary. Turned it on and couldn't turn it off. Really well made
Waiting for the time when I can finally say, that this has all been wonderful, but now I’m on my way...Phish

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 09, 2020, 08:38:50 pm »
Seconded.  Outstanding video and the best of luck to Alex.

Offline bryaneidins70

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 13, 2020, 11:27:22 am »
That was bloody brilliant.

What an amazing guy.
"Good news boppers, the big alert has been called off, turns out that the early reports were wrong, all wrong. Now for that group out there that had such a hard time getting home, sorry about that, I guess the only thing we can do is play you a song"

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 13, 2020, 11:36:37 am »
He's in the lead heading for Storm Theta at approx 18 knots.  Does not look likes he's going to blink.  Balls of steel....But please Alex, don't break the bloody boat again.....

"2020-11-13_1135.png"

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 13, 2020, 11:42:09 am »
Thanks for the update.  The last I had checked, he was in 2nd place with a 10nm separation.  If you get a chance you should watch his update vlogs on the vendee globe site.

He looks like he’s having the time of his life.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 13, 2020, 11:45:21 am »
Go here:

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/race/

You can see all sorts of info, including his sleep (or lack thereof) patterns, etc etc etc

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 13, 2020, 11:47:03 am »
For example....Effectively real-time....

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/boat/

"2020-11-13_1145.png"

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 13, 2020, 12:00:14 pm »
Ok.  I did and that is so cool!

How anyone can sail solo in such varying conditions (conditions that could destroy the boat and the occupant) for 70 days is a testament to the determination, genius, and a bit of madness of the skippers.

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 13, 2020, 12:08:49 pm »
@Giles Did you ever get to board his latest boat?  How big is that living quarter?  I find it interesting that he is racing from below deck. 

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 13, 2020, 12:26:24 pm »
I have not been on this one.  As you probably know, he broke it big time sailing the 2-handed Transat Jacques Vabre last year, so he has not had it on the water nearly as much as he needed to.  The last thing he needed was a rank amateur getting in his way when he was trying to learn how to sail it.  So, I don't know how big it is, but he does not need a lot of space.  But I do know that when he gets back, his lower body will be emaciated from lack of decent exercise (does not have a lot of room for jogging in there), it takes him a long time to get back into decent physical shape.

If he brings it back, I'm def going to have a look around.