Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races  (Read 71973 times)

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races
« Reply #420 on: November 27, 2020, 10:53:48 am »
The latest:

Morning! Here’s a quick update for you from our Technical Director, Ross Daniel:
“Yesterday evening, Alex decided to take advantage of the light conditions to further reinforce the repairs that he has done onboard HUGO BOSS in order to increase the safety factors before he enters the Southern Ocean.
“To do this, he had to slow the boat down slightly so that he could work in relatively stable conditions. With the new weather front crossing the fleet today, which will carry them south, Alex knew that last night would be his last opportunity to complete this reinforcement.
“This morning we’ve been able to take a good look at the work that Alex did overnight. It looks good and we are very happy with what he has been able to do.
“Alex is now back into racing mode and is preparing for the Southern Ocean”.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 27, 2020, 11:09:18 am »
Even with that, he took approx 30 miles out of Charlie's lead over the last 24 hours.....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 27, 2020, 12:55:01 pm »
I love tracking this series every year. Alex is a mad man, but guess by now we all know that. Insane.

Offline Aetas

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 27, 2020, 10:02:50 pm »
 As I am following Boris Herrmann as well, thougt to share this here …

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 28, 2020, 12:27:33 am »
Lastest update:  :(

At approximately 19:00 UTC this evening (Friday 27th November) – 19 days into the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race – Alex Thomson notified his technical team on shore of damage to the starboard rudder of his HUGO BOSS boat.

The team immediately advised Thomson to disconnect the rudder to regain steerage. He now has control of the yacht with one rudder, and is safe and in no danger onboard.

The team is working to assess the extent of the damage. A further update will be released on Saturday 28th November.

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 28, 2020, 02:46:58 am »
seems like the boat's determined to break. How much can Alex fix? All the things?!

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: November 28, 2020, 07:17:17 am »
He'll run out of spares at some point.....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 28, 2020, 03:21:11 pm »
I'm so sorry Alex.  At the end of the day, I guess the boat was just not fit for purpose....Come fishing with me when you're back and cheer yourself up.....

"2020-11-28_1520.png"

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 28, 2020, 05:27:19 pm »
Much respect for Alex and the team.  I’m sure that it was a difficult decision, but definitely the right one.

"91D77F49-5CB6-485C-A044-3374988D3979.jpeg"

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 30, 2020, 01:15:48 pm »
A broken man..... :'( :'( :'(

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 30, 2020, 02:56:59 pm »
That made me a little misty eyed... :(

...and this makes me pissed off.

Here is Alex's thoughts on what happened to his rudder:

The bitterly disappointed 46 years old from Gosport, Hampshire in England has explained briefly what happened to his rudder, believing that some discarded or lost fishing equipment cause the fracture,

“I was averaging 21 knots, flying the small gennaker and one reef in the mainsail. I was down below when there was a huge bang and the boat broached violently. The steering system was jammed and all I could do was roll the sails away. Once on deck I could see the rudder blade was broken and swinging around with a large piece of fishing gear jammed into the cracks. So I think I must have hit something. It certainly looks that way. Now I am having to keep the boat flat while I sail the boat now with just one rudder to Cape Town.”

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 30, 2020, 04:34:15 pm »
It is shameful to see what we are doing to our oceans!!  Here are visual examples of commercial fishing ghost gear:

"DB3DC860-7F2F-4DF3-B400-02EE81FDA271.jpeg"

"6F2EDCF5-BA7B-4FCC-B89D-8B512B42EBD7.jpeg"

and the Great Pacific Garbage Patch:

"76CA8328-8BBB-4742-BAA9-29BEE18CDFA3.jpeg"

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 30, 2020, 05:15:15 pm »
Jean Le Cam is an old school yachtsman in an old school (no foils) yacht who has been punching well above his weight.

A French friend of mine just sent me this message.....

"Poor Jean!! he's the only one with a workable boat and now he's obliged to come and help the others...!"

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 30, 2020, 05:18:56 pm »
Quick update:

Jean le Cam has arrived in the area and has seen Kevin in his life raft. He is under engine preparing to recover Escoffier. More info to come.