Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races  (Read 71976 times)

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races
« Reply #450 on: December 03, 2020, 10:50:02 pm »
I was reading her story this afternoon, and she was making 20+knots when she struck something underwater.  She said she went from 20 to 0.  She inspected her boat and it seems that the keel is intact, but where it attaches to the boat is severely compromised.

She also mentioned that she had just set down for dinner when this happened.  Now the inside of her boat is decorated with it.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 04, 2020, 09:08:00 am »
I'd say he's out of danger now....

"2020-12-04_0906.png"
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 04, 2020, 11:42:02 am »
@Giles Does the team have a group waiting on him?  Will they fix the boat there and sail it home?  Will Alex come home for the holidays?

Sorry for all of the questions, just really curious.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 04, 2020, 12:32:24 pm »
Yep, the team flew out a few days ago.

I guess the damage will be assessed and a decision made as to whether to fix and sail, or pop it on a boat transporter and ship home that way.

I guess that time is not of the essence, as there should not be any IMOCA 60 races in the diary for a while, as most of the "competitive" boats are supposed to be tied up in the Vendee for another few weeks.

I would think Alex will come home for Christmas.

I'm really interested to learn what his plans will be.  This was going to be his last big one (well the 2016 race was too), but will he want his Vendee legacy to be this?  I would think he has probably had a few days of pretty miserable soul searching...
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 04, 2020, 12:43:48 pm »
Thanks G.

After reading the comments of support and admiration on his Facebook page, you understand how many people respect and cheer for him, as do I. 

I really think that a victory is in his cards and would love to see him make another run, but completely understand if he doesn’t.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 05, 2020, 02:37:30 pm »

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: December 06, 2020, 03:23:39 pm »

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 08, 2020, 10:45:06 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if Alex does the Ocean Race (formerly Volvo Ocean Race) next. It is due to be run in IMOCA 60s next time, so he has an ideal boat...

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile

Offline Aetas

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 14, 2021, 08:06:55 pm »
"125CDDDF-FBD1-4D9E-8F8D-9A446474D022.jpeg"

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 15, 2021, 01:00:01 pm »

Offline goosehd

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 15, 2021, 01:42:27 pm »
@Giles He look's happy and content.  Did you happen to cross paths while he was back?

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 15, 2021, 02:05:21 pm »
No way.  He's not in my bubble.  Seriously, the only crossing of paths here at the moment is if you want to be illegal.