Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races  (Read 66345 times)

Offline Aetas

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: Our Mate Alex Thompson’s Races
« Reply #390 on: November 18, 2020, 03:40:25 pm »
I also watch the Vendee Globe TV on YT

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 19, 2020, 07:21:55 am »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 19, 2020, 06:19:31 pm »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: November 21, 2020, 10:03:50 am »
Alex lost the lead overnight WTF.....

But as I said to a friend, maybe because it's because he is dead....

"WhatsApp Image 2020-11-20 at 16.40.19.jpeg"

Though I think a computer malfunction is more likely.

Though these boats will sail for days if not weeks on autopilot with no skipper.....
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 10:07:17 am by Giles »

Offline goosehd

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 21, 2020, 01:44:11 pm »
I’m wondering if it is a strategic move and the winds will be more favourable for the tract that he wants to take.

It also looks like his vitals monitor is temporarily offline.

Offline goosehd

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: November 22, 2020, 01:32:18 am »
Latest update: 

At approximately 19:00 UTC on Saturday 21st November, British Skipper Alex Thomson notified his team on shore of a possible structural issue onboard the HUGO BOSS boat.

At the time, Thomson was located approximately 800 miles east of Rio de Janeiro in the South Atlantic ocean, and was 13 days into the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race.

Thomson and his team, together with their appointed naval architects and structural engineers, are now working together to assess the extent of the structural issue and to determine a repair programme and timeline.

Thomson is safe and well onboard, and in regular dialogue with the team. The Vendée Globe race organisation has been notified and is being kept well informed.

We kindly ask that members of the public refrain from attempting to contact the team at this time. A further update will be released on Sunday 22nd November.

Offline Chris

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 22, 2020, 02:43:46 am »
Looks like Alex broke another boat. Damn, that sucks.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 22, 2020, 07:25:17 am »
Certainly does.....

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 22, 2020, 11:36:04 am »
Ross Daniel, Technical Director at Alex Thomson Racing:

“Yesterday evening (Saturday 21st November), while Alex was carrying out a routine inspection onboard HUGO BOSS, he spotted what he believed to be some structural damage in the bow area of the boat. He immediately notified myself and the team on shore, and we provided clear instructions to allow him to carry out a full inspection of the damage.

“That inspection has revealed some structural damage to a longitudinal beam at the front of the boat. The damage appears to be isolated to that area alone. It is yet unclear what caused this damage. There have been no incidents of concern onboard the boat during the race so far. 

“Together with our structural engineers and naval architects, we worked through the night to put together a full repair plan for Alex. During this time, Alex took some rest onboard in order to prepare to begin that repair work this morning.

“Alex has now put the boat into a safe position to manage the sea state in order to reduce movement onboard while he carries out the repair. He has all the necessary materials onboard, a detailed plan to follow, and a team of world class engineers advising him. We are therefore confident in his ability to complete the repair.

“Our objective is to carry out the necessary repair swiftly and effectively, in order to minimise the miles lost and resume racing again.

“A further update will follow from the team in due course”.

Offline hajduk

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: November 22, 2020, 11:38:23 am »
It is definitely not over for the first place ;) wait and see!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
"Ignorance, allied with power, is the most ferocious enemy justice can have" James Baldwin.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: November 22, 2020, 11:43:33 am »
Last time around, he lost a foil and was fighting for first up until the last minute of the race.  Oh, and he broke the solo 24 hour sailing record whilst he was at it.

I have faith....

Offline goosehd

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2020, 12:06:16 pm »
Thank goodness he found it before he entered the southern ocean. 

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 22, 2020, 12:27:09 pm »
Yep, but I would not be surprised if Storm Theta did not have something to do with the damage...And frankly, I have been worried for about 48 hours at how he was dropping back.  He's an amazingly experienced sailor on a good boat, he should have been pulling away, not dropping back....

And call me cynical, but this

https://www.alexthomsonracing.com/the-hub/alex/

suddenly stopping working a couple of days ago, I found a little suspicious.....

The good news is, he's not pulling any G Force  :D :D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:33:07 pm by Giles »

Offline goosehd

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 23, 2020, 05:47:50 am »
Alex Thomson shares an update following the news announced yesterday by his team, that he had discovered structural damage on the HUGO BOSS yacht, 13 days into the Vendée Globe.

“It was a bit of a shock at first but obviously it could have been a lot worse. It’s repairable and we’re not yet in the southern ocean.

“I called my technical team and they got the right group of people together – the designers, the engineers, the team. While they were digesting the information, that was my time to sleep. Knowing it was going to be a big job to get it all done, I got myself about six hours sleep so that I’d be ready.

“Then we started running through the repair plan so that I could fully understand it and ask the right questions. The first part of that was to stabilise the hull so that involved some cutting, gluing and bolting. That’s done now and it’s been laminated. The next part is to get the rest of the repair prepped. I need to get all the materials together and do as much of the cutting now while it’s still light. Then the rest of it doesn’t matter because it’s in the bow and it’s dark in there anyway. It’s really humid up in there. But we carry quite a lot of materials – under-water resin, glues that can deal with humid conditions – so the materials can deal with it quite well. I imagine a lot of teams don’t carry as much as we do.

“I’m in a rhythm now so I’ll keep going for as long as I can. It’s quite an intricate job so I can’t rush it and I need to make sure it’s right.

“I’m disappointed obviously but this is the Vendée Globe. This is what it entails. You’ve got to be able to deal with this stuff. This is why we carry these materials and tools, and why we’re generally very good at being able to deal with these things. Normally I feel angry and sad and emotional but I don’t this time. I just need to get on with it. I’m sure at some point the emotions may go the other way but, for now, there is only one thing to do and that is to get the job done as best as I possibly can. I will do whatever it takes to stay in the race”.

Offline goosehd

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 23, 2020, 06:03:17 am »
"F57A66FF-4048-4D6F-8C90-5B79E4405090.jpeg"