Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Shrinkage - What is it?  (Read 3531 times)

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Shrinkage - What is it?
« on: February 11, 2013, 01:55:48 PM »
Yarns and/or fabrics are not fixed materials.  They consist of separate fibres that will stretch when exposed to tension, i.e. they elongate during the process of being made into cloth (during spinning, weaving, bleaching, dyeing and the various finishing processes, yarns and cloth are under continuous tension).  Some or all of this stretch within the fabric is retained in the post-loom fabric because of friction between the fibres and the yarns.

The stretch that occurs can be eliminated when the friction within the fabric is reduced.  This will happen during  soaking and/or washing, where both water and soap act as lubricants.  The lubricants, along with the mechanical action of the washer, help the fibres relax and contract (shrink) back to their original length.

One of the reasons that dry cleaning does not shrink natural fabrics is that the friction within the fabric is not reduced by dampening.
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline MikeC

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
Re: Shrinkage - What is it?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 02:13:20 PM »
I love shrinkage!!!

Offline Ponyboy312

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 12:21:22 AM »
I love shrinkage!!!

Thats what she said.
colonelclegg: if you threw up on them just wash them dude, especially if your not sure if its your puke.........

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
We get a lot of question of the type:

How much will the thigh shrink?
How much will the front rise shrink?

All vertical measurements will shrink at the same ratio as the inseam shrinkage
All horizontal measurements will shrink at the same ratio as the waist shrinkage

So say the shrinkage of the inseam in 2" over 36", that is 5.55% shrinkage 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:21:29 PM by Giles »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline simonc

• Iron Heart Deity
  • ain't the denim its what you do in it
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:38:54 AM »
Nice.

Offline derivative666

• 見習いボス
  • "Robot Lords of Tokyo! Smile, Taste Kittens!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 03:17:45 PM »
Shrinkage, isn't this what happens during an ice cold shower?
"honorable mention to the bearded giant aka derivative666 for being a stand up dude & not changing with the seasons since i've been around these parts" Monday

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »
Not to me.....:-)

Offline Seul

• 見習いボス
  • Geo's Barkeep
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 05:53:08 PM »
There isn't enough to shrink...

Offline calhart

• Raw and Unwashed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 08:23:03 AM »
Hi Guys,
im going to resurrect this topic, or put it to sleep. i work for an industrial laundry machine supplier and some of our machines produce 120kg of washed linen every 2 minutes. we spend huge amounts of money proving to large hotel chains that its not our fault their sheets or towels have shrunk. we regularly ship sample packages to our lab in the Netherlands to be test. and then people dont like being told that the 1 million euro worth of sheets they just bought will shrink unevenly or by huge amounts. we sometimes get garments to test and my friend there states in his opinion some denim is the worst for quality and for ripping people off, for example one manufacturer in particular beginning with D the denim is bought extremly cheaply and the cost of one pair to produce can be under 3 euro, they then sell for up to 250 euro!! the shrinkage in these is abnormal.
all items shrink at different rates even from the same roll of material. what im getting to is ....IHUK i think do an awesome job of informing on size and shrinkage, and the jeans are top quality  :)

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »
@calhart You do know I am desperate to see one of your machines don't you?

Offline calhart

• Raw and Unwashed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 11:13:48 AM »
this link is a quick video, sorry about the dodgy music :-)
if you ever want to look round one of these places there are a couple near you i think,