Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Guns.  (Read 19327 times)

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: Guns.
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2018, 02:57:07 am »
Been thinking about a Sig Nightmare 1911 myself...
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline steelworker

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2018, 04:39:44 am »
^truth.

Kimber SIS Pro
Zermeno Knives Azrael
Like that Kimber, Mike.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Offline gaseousclay

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2018, 04:58:25 pm »
Off topic , I never owned a gun nor wanted one nor ever been in situation that require the use of guns . Why anyone need that many guns ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One could also ask why anyone needs so many flannel shirts or pairs of jeans or vinyl records. For most people guns are a hobby, albeit one that is a big responsibility. I agree with @tvenuto that guns are fun to shoot. It's another rabbit hole you'll find yourself going down once you've done your homework.

Personally, I'm more into long guns than I am handguns. I would like a 1911 someday but that'll have to wait. I like the fit and finish of long guns and the craftsmanship that goes into the product. Some of the best long guns are manufactured in Japan by Miroku, but there are a few respectable makers in the US, Finland and Belgium (I believe). Winchester, Browning and Weatherby all make some of their rifles in Japan. It's ironic that some of the nicest rifles are made in a country with some of the strictest gun control laws around.

With that said, read up on it and go from there. Take a safety course, read articles, or go to the range with someone you know. Some like firearms for self-defense, shooting at the range or hunting. It's a fairly broad spectrum of gun owners but one I enjoy.
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-196 size L

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2018, 06:22:52 pm »
Not sure wardrobe holds up as a good comparison for an arsenal, since few people wear the same shirt every day, but there's no reason you couldn't (and in fact many reasons you should) use the same firearm for EDC, but yes, some people collect firearms as a hobby--anything can become a hobby.

Having traveled a bit, I do understand how alien the notion of private citizens owning, much less carrying, firearms can be. Here's my position on the matter:

I have guns because:
a) they're fun to shoot
b, and much more importantly) if shit ever goes nuts, I have them as a part of my bug-out bag for defense and survival (hunting, etc)

In the US, where we have as many guns as citizens and an increasingly fractured and unstable society, I think it's a good move to have guns and to know how to use them just in case. I do not fetishize them, but regard them as tools (and in some cases, art) and not as a proxy for an inadequate sexual organ or a way to offset other frustrations (I do believe that perceived personal inadequacies and a feeling of political impotence drive gun obsession in some enthusiasts). And, without going any further on the topic, I absolutely believe in rational, reasonable constraints on firearms sales.

I do not carry today because I feel safe and don't do things generally that place me at greater risk: in my estimation, the odds of an active shooter scenario occurring during my day-to-day don't warrant carry on my person or even in my car. In my home, I rely on layers of defense that are likely to deter intruders well before I would need to engage them with a firearm. I certainly reserve the option to CC if any of this changes and I feel it's necessary to protect myself and my family.

But for now, safe and range is my extent.
Think it, be it.

Offline gaseousclay

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2018, 06:43:20 pm »
Not sure wardrobe holds up as a good comparison for an arsenal, since few people wear the same shirt every day, but there's no reason you couldn't (and in fact many reasons you should) use the same firearm for EDC, but yes, some people collect firearms as a hobby--anything can become a hobby.

True, but the question of quantity invariably comes up when it comes to firearm ownership in the US. I personally don't care how many firearms a person owns so long as he/she knows how to safely use them and store them. My boss, who is in his mid 60's is blind as a bat and has never taken a firearms safety course in his life. He couldn't hit the side of a barn if he wanted to, and he owns a Glock, a .22 rifle and a shotgun. That scares me more than someone with 20 guns that is trained in firearm use.

I don't own guns anymore, especially after my divorce. Having a 5 year old living with me part-time also doesn't allow me to own a firearm because I no longer have a safe. When my rifles went so did my gun safe (which was big and heavy).
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-196 size L

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2018, 10:31:24 pm »
Yep--and indeed in some cases, you do want to have different kinds of firearms fit for whatever purposes: hunting birds versus bucks, concealed carry versus home defense, etc.
Think it, be it.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2018, 10:41:43 pm »
Is your blind boss also the type of guy that gives unsolicited advice at the range? I really hate those motherfuckers. A lot of times their advice is dangerous too.

I actually find the spreaders of unsafe self defense advice more scary than people who don't know what their doing and keep their guns in a sock drawer. Bad advice spreads like a virus, a moron with a gun can only hurt those in their vicinity.

Offline louisbosco

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 16, 2018, 01:45:37 am »
Off topic , I never owned a gun nor wanted one nor ever been in situation that require the use of guns . Why anyone need that many guns ?

because FREEDOM!!!!  8) 8)
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline gaseousclay

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 16, 2018, 02:15:19 am »
Is your blind boss also the type of guy that gives unsolicited advice at the range? I really hate those motherfuckers. A lot of times their advice is dangerous too.

I actually find the spreaders of unsafe self defense advice more scary than people who don't know what their doing and keep their guns in a sock drawer. Bad advice spreads like a virus, a moron with a gun can only hurt those in their vicinity.

He doesn’t even use his guns that I know of. He’s likely the type of gun owner you mentioned and keeps his stuff in a sock drawer. I honestly don’t know why he even has them to begin with. He probably bought them because he could, not because he’s interested in them as a collector, enthusiast, hunter or has a need for self defense.

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-196 size L

Offline neversummer

• Haraki-san Student
  • Running...
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2018, 04:18:49 am »
I’d been looking for a 10mm for a bit for a woods hiking/running carry option. Picked up a slightly used G29 Gen 4 with 4*10 rd mags(all with the Pierce pinky extension), 3*15 rd mags(all with the xgrip), a stainless Storm Lake match grade barrel, and ~80 rounds of both ball and JHP. I’ll have to get some Underwood 220 grain hard cast for the outdoors. Looking forward to making some big booms!

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2018, 06:56:50 pm »
@neversummer

How do you plan to carry it while running? Been thinking of getting one of these

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1/ProductID/2

Offline neversummer

• Haraki-san Student
  • Running...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2018, 08:43:18 pm »
@DougNg

I have ordered but not yet received one of these:
https://blackhawk.com/products/holsters-accessories/holsters/tactical/nylon/nylon-universal-spec-ops-pistol-harness
Which you can find most places for 40-45 bucks. Was thinking of the Kenai chest holster, but they are expensive and also unpadded. I also looked at Alien, as they have the one you can clip to your backpack strap, but the straps on my various trail running packs are all pretty minimal.
I like the one you linked to as well. Open carry is legal in my state, so I shouldn’t have any issues. But that is a good option for places one might not be able to do that or want to keep it concealed.

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2018, 09:16:50 pm »
Just because it's legal doesn't mean you have to open carry. Discretion is probably worth your consideration. I can't imagine running with a firearm anywhere but on my chest, personally.
Think it, be it.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2018, 10:28:11 pm »
The Kenai really looks like it's designed as a "hiking in bear country" holster or for a back up gun for hunting. No active retention + open at the muzzle end is asking for you to pop your pistol out. Still, it looks like a really nice piece of kit.

Let me know how that Blackhawk works out. It looks like it would bounce around a lot.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2018, 10:45:25 pm »
If I feel like I might need to smoke something with 220gr hardcast, discretion is not real high on my list of priorities.