Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Guns.  (Read 28864 times)

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: Guns.
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2020, 11:24:55 pm »
[mention]DougNg [/mention]

I’m a fan of the Mossberg 590 but I’m not sure how practical it would be for me compared to the 500. Are there any other brands you’d recommend for home defense that are similar to the 590, or is the 590 considered the gold standard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2020, 12:05:25 am »
@gaseousclay

There's actually not that huge of a difference between the 590 and the 500 except for the way the end cap attaches to the magazine tube. I think the 590 also has a metal trigger guard (my 590 is actually a 590A1 converted to a 590. I didn't like the extra weight)

The 500 and the Remington 870 are the gold standards for pump actions. I don't care for the 870, I almost bought one years ago and there was rust in the barrel. Also, I don't like the way the safety actuates. Supposedly the rust in the barrel was from a specific batch out of a specific warehouse out from a specific distributor, but I just get a hinky feeling holding a Remington.

The Mossberg has a safety on top of the receiver. That makes more sense to me. Also, my wife is a lefty and I try to have everything ambi if it doesn't require major surgery.
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2020, 01:19:15 am »
I looked at the 590A1 yrs ago and really liked it, but then figured I didn’t need a mil-spec shotgun with the added weight. Never really liked Remington all that much. The trigger issues they were having didn’t give me much confidence in their brand either. Think I’ll have to revisit the 500 due to value.

I’d like to get another lever gun, preferably a Winchester 94, but that’s probably overkill for home defense. I suspect a 30-30 round would cause more damage than a 12 gauge round of buckshot.

I’d like to add my opinion on guns for self defense. The other night when my son was with me we had gone to bed for the night when both of us heard someone at my door, as in turning the knob and trying to gain entry. I live in an apartment so it’s likely that a tenant accidentally mistook my apartment for their own. Either way, this freaked my son out but I had to reassure him that he was safe and that I wouldn’t let anything happen to him. I have a baseball bat and a kitchen knife if it came to that. But, I have no self defense skills to speak of so if I were overpowered or if there was more than one person I’d be screwed. A firearm would make me feel % safe if someone tried to cause harm to me or my son, and I would do anything and everything in my power to keep him safe. I know that firearms are a touchy subject but I ask that non gun owners educate themselves on gun safety and use. Read the statistics and come to your own conclusions. Yes, guns are scary but they’re even less scary when you know how to safely handle and use one. I try my best to see all the good that humanity is capable of but there’s always that negative element of society that will prey on anyone they perceive as weak. It’s human nature.

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-19

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2020, 01:35:07 am »
Fun story about the 590A1: it's added bulkiness has nothing to do with usage...sailors and marines kept slamming the barrel into bulkheads and dinging the barrel to the point it affected performance.

It's a front heavy motherfucker.

Food for thought:

FBI reports show that over 50% of attacks happen with two or more people.

Also: handguns can be fired single handedly (not incredibly well, but it can be done). A lightweight rifle can be fired single handedly. Shotguns, not so much, and after the first shot, you need your support hand to reload.

If you need to keep your son behind you, or drag him towards safety so you don't have to fire, a shotgun is not a great choice.

One of the reasons my HD firearms is an AR15 or a pistol. Sometimes my granddaughter is over, and my two dogs go towards danger, not away.

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2020, 01:53:24 am »
Aside from the AR15, what is your preferred handgun and which caliber?

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-19

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2020, 03:32:58 am »
Glock 9mm

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2020, 03:30:42 pm »
Glock 9mm
Is it because it’s polymer and 9mm ammo is plentiful? What’s the difference between a 1911 vs a Glock for HD? I noticed that some 1911’s are also chambered in 9mm so I’m unclear as to the benefits of one over the other. I’m assuming it will all boil down to personal preference.

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-19

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2020, 03:53:36 pm »
1) 1911's are just not built to modern standards of reliability. They are not designed to use hollow points, they were specifically designed for ball ammo. If you look at the steep angle of the feedramps it's pretty obvious. If you take a course and someone has to call time out, 9/10 it's because their 1911 shit the bed.
2) 1911's are not easily user serviceable without in depth knowledge. A Glock can be taken apart with a nail. Literally. The whole thing is held together with three pins and magic. You can also have a bag full of parts to fix it for $40 bucks. I change out all the springs in my guns regardless of round count every year just as a precautionary measure.

3) I keep a stock of 24 magazines/gun because i train a lot. Mags are consumable supplies. Glock mags are cheap. Good 1911 mags are twice as expensive.
4) Carrying a 1911 sucks. They're heavy as shit.
I can keep going on and on. Most guns are decent these days. If you want a reliable 1911, expect to spend $2k+
1911s are some hipster shit. Ironically, they're also some boomer shit.
Glocks just work.
If Glocks are Jeeps (easily serviced, needs a minimum of proprietary tools and parts), then a 1911 is a vintage car. Infinitely more cool, but requires a lot more service and cost of ownership. I like shooting my guns, not tinkering with them.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:10:17 pm by DougNg »

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2020, 04:04:54 pm »
Worth a watch:

Edited to add: 1911's are not the most unreliable guns in the world like some would lead to believe. I just see them shit the bed pretty often. I still want one.

With that being said, I have a lot invested in Glock because I think they're the best pistols *for me*. So much so that I have a Glock 17, 19 and 26. In triplicate. One set for home defense, one set for training/range practice, one set as a backup in case I need to drop one off to be serviced.
There are only two guns that if it's the end of the world I'd tell someone to leave it behind and hand them a sharp stick. That would be a Steyr anything and a Springfield XD variation. They're just unsafe.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 04:24:08 pm by DougNg »

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2020, 05:15:41 pm »
With that being said, I have a lot invested in Glock because I think they're the best pistols *for me*.

Of course they are... Made in Austria  ;D

There are only two guns that if it's the end of the world I'd tell someone to leave it behind and hand them a sharp stick. That would be a Steyr anything ....

Ups made in Austria too  :-[  :D

Sorry, I know "Guns" is off limits  ;)
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2020, 06:12:15 pm »
One out of two ain’t bad ;)

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2020, 06:42:08 pm »
One specific point about the 1911 is that it has a single column mag, instead of a staggered mag. It means it has a lot fewer rounds. It also means that some with smallish hands will find it extremely comfortable to use.

Offline scooter

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2020, 11:04:43 pm »
Without diving too deep into my reasoning, I did recently purchase a new home defense handgun. The possibility of civil unrest did play a small part in it(likely, the straw...) But, I had been deliberating for quite some time. I handled a number of handguns along the way, and finally found one that suits me quite nicely...

"IMG_20200511_143105.jpg"

It's the 2020 model. I'm waiting on a shipment of 2 extra mags, and a tac light. I'm leaning toward acquiring an optic sight for it, as well.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2020, 12:17:27 am »
VP9?

Offline scooter

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2020, 12:23:18 am »
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.