Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Firearms/Self Defense Chat  (Read 35095 times)

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
Re: Guns.
« Reply #135 on: November 14, 2018, 12:58:58 am »
Heh, not much out here that requires that kind of stopping power unless you get sideways with a moose or (somehow) an elk. Then you'd have some explaining to do to Ranger Rick. I guess if you managed to piss off a black bear it would be a good caliber, but that's hard to do in my experience.

If we had brown bears, I'd probably want still more stopping power. I recall having read a story about a grizzly charging a man and being taken down by one of those snubnose S&W .500 revolvers actually marketed for that purpose (maybe in one shot?). I'd hate to try that with anything less than a .44 mag.

The odds of encountering a person meaning to do you harm in the CO wilderness are long, but if you did run into someone like that, chances are they are completely nuts and you might want to get the drop on him (hence discretion).
Think it, be it.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2019, 06:49:37 pm »
@neversummer

Been using the Hill People Gear Runners Kit bag for a little while now. It's pretty comfortable, but now that summer is here you can definitely feel the extra layers of fabric sitting on your chest preventing ventilation. Still, it's the best way for me to carry for two legged threats while running. A little slower on the draw than my usual appendix carry though.
If I were concerned with four legged threats I'd open carry. I've heard too many stories from my friends that live in rural areas to slow down my draw.

The other thing I got a month ago and am completely in love with is my Dene Adams Phantom 360 belly band. I shoved an old appendix holster I wasn't using anymore because I found a new holster I prefer as well as a Blueforcegear double pistol mag pouch on a Raven Concealment Pocket Shield. Everything is held in the belly band with industrial velcro. I use this holster when I'm wearing pants with no belt, like gym shorts while walking the dogs. Its amazing.
My regular holster has been a Tenicor Velo for the last six or seven months, it's fantastic. Two extra mags carried on belt with a couple Snake Eater Tactical IWB pouches.
How has that Blackhawk holster been working for you?
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline neversummer

• Haraki-san Prodigy
  • Ice cream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2019, 10:57:47 pm »
@DougNg I might have to look into one of those.... the Blackhawk holster is solidly ok, however this is no padding between the gun and my chest and it definitely digs in and gets uncomfortable after awhile. Pretty floppy for running, so I’ve been using it for hiking only. Can open carry here, so that’s ok.
Adjustment is a pain, as you really need to take it completely off to change anything. I’m often wearing it with either a Salomon vest or UD backpack, so also the question of over or under. Not as much of an issue now, but most of the year I have to remove/add clothing, which can change how it sits, and then I need to ageist the fit.
So I guess I’m using it and it works, but not as intended. I’ll probably look for and OWB option for hiking, but also not a fan of wearing a belt! Gun itself is a lot of fun. Big booms- makes going back to a 9mm feel like a 22!
"F6DDD75C-5500-4E7F-A0FB-74BC707044DF.jpeg"
Here’s a photo with my 526jdd.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2020, 11:58:54 am »
Bringing this back to the top.
Anyone buy anything new with the possibility of civil unrest?
Folks dusting stuff off?
I've gotten a few questions via PM what my setup looks like. I don't have a full battle rattle get up.

Light and slick is what works best for me.
Might post up pics later today or tomorrow.

Offline AdamJ

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2020, 12:04:27 pm »
@DougNg @neversummer

I saw an article about gun/ammunition sales increasing due to worry about the virus.

Living in a country where I've rarely seen a firearm in my life, what's the thought process behind it? Is there a genuine possibility that coronavirus unrest in the US would lead to the requirement to own a weapon, in your city/neighbourhood or what not!

Genuinely intrigued!
The devil is in the detail..

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2020, 12:20:28 pm »
@DougNg @neversummer

I saw an article about gun/ammunition sales increasing due to worry about the virus.

Living in a country where I've rarely seen a firearm in my life, what's the thought process behind it? Is there a genuine possibility that coronavirus unrest in the US would lead to the requirement to own a weapon, in your city/neighbourhood or what not!

Genuinely intrigued!

I would say if it comes to the point where resources become scarce then yes, civil unrest is possible. I mean, some people are fighting over bog roll already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2020, 12:36:27 pm »
I believe civil unrest is a real possibility. People are out of work, they have no way to pay for groceries, there are fewer and fewer groceries to be bought, and people are sitting around with nothing else to do but cause trouble.
Looting has already begun in California.

I still maintain a good relationship with a number of law enforcement officers in my area (and other areas). They're telling plainclothes detectives to dust off their uniforms and expect to go back to patrol, as patrol officers are expected to get sick. They also are preparing for civil unrest.
It becomes a game of probability. In normal times I think people like to bury their heads in the sand and pretend like bad things don't happen. When it does happen they say "I never thought this could happen to me." I have the means and ability to defend my family with a firearm, so I will. I believe that should someone try to do me or my loved ones harm the best way to handle it is to respond with an overwhelming use of force. I don't want to be on the news saying "I didn't do my best."

I do have some concerns about all the new gun owners we've created in the last ten days. While owning and handling a firearm is pretty simple (there are only four safety rules), I'm not sure people are getting the training they need. I put down a lot of ammo downrange a year, in training and practice, I'm fairly competent. I foresee some folks who have never been around guns before having accidents.
I also have concerns people bought the wrong type of gun for home defense. The media has vilified the AR15, and there is a lot of bad information out there. The AR15 is probably the best and safest weapon a new gun owner could get for home defense, and a hunting rifle will fire a round that will go through a couple houses before coming to rest.

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2020, 12:44:18 pm »
I forgot to add, I think the major driving factor to the gun buying is people don't believe the police will be available to control the normal amount of unrest that we have. People are seeing medical systems collapse, law enforcement is going to be strained during this period as well.
Even if we don't have civil unrest, without a force to pursue repercussions to crime (law enforcement), I believe it's likely crime will go up.
I don't have the study handy, but someone interviewed a bunch of violent criminals in jail, and the consensus of what would deter them:
1) getting shot by the victim2) being eaten by the victims dog3) the police
I think people are finally taking personal responsibility for their own safety. I don't know if a gun is the right way for all of them, but I think this is moving in the right direction for mindset. I don't understand the mindset at all that someone else is responsible for my safety. This seems like a child like devolution to me.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 26, 2020, 12:53:00 pm »
You don't have to have scarcity to have brutal civil unrest, e.g., look at the race riots following the Rodney King story. The increase in general stress, police force being stretched thin, etc, all can add up to a bad situation.

Offline Fluster.Cluck

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:13 pm »
I don't feel the need to leave my house with a gun, or walk around with one.

I like having them in the house in case of emergencies etc. and their fun to shoot. But people panic buying with no previous experience could be a bad thing. Sure hope people read up on self defense laws for their given state as these sorts of things can be a legal mess.

I thought about getting another revolver just to have, but I doubt I end up getting it.

If someone were to break into my home, I would rather use a shotgun I've handled and shot hundreds of times hunting anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 26, 2020, 03:08:38 pm »
Legal insurance is a good thing to have. I have one specifically for self defense. However, it's not specific to guns. If I have to use a knife, my fists, or a teacup, I'm covered.

We went with CCWSafe specifically because if someone breaks in or attacks me while walking the dogs, I'm covered if my dog comes to my defense (this is least desireable, it's MY job to defend my family, not send my dog to fight with her face)

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 26, 2020, 03:13:35 pm »
I agree with the comments about inexperienced gun owners. It’s a shit show waiting to happen. An experienced gun owner is less likely to shoot and kill someone imo versus an inexperienced gun owner who would likely panic and shoot someone or not know how to handle their firearm safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 26, 2020, 06:22:19 pm »
No private person should own a firearm! It's exhausting but if I look at how many people die in the US due to guns I wouldn't be that proud about all the that firearm and NRA shit... justmy2cents.
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Guns.
« Reply #148 on: March 26, 2020, 06:43:55 pm »
Do I go into the beer thread and quote the number of people who have alcohol related deaths?

Do I go into the smoking thread and talk about cancer?

No.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 07:05:47 pm by neph93 »

Offline Fluster.Cluck

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 26, 2020, 07:44:35 pm »
No private person should own a firearm! It's exhausting but if I look at how many people die in the US due to guns I wouldn't be that proud about all the that firearm and NRA shit... justmy2cents.
Good thing you don't live here then fella, you don't have to deal with them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk