Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Watches - another OCD problem  (Read 869341 times)

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: Watches - another OCD problem
« Reply #6000 on: April 22, 2021, 12:12:55 am »
The Black Bay in silver looks good. It sounds like it won't tarnish, which is a bit of a shame, as I like the idea of a what that develops a patina.

Zenith have done a time only watch and a chronograph in silver. In a recent interview, Julien Tornare (the CEO) said that they considered stabilising the case so it wouldn't tarnish, but then they decided not to. They wanted a case that aged with use.

I don't recall seeing the silver chronograph before, but it looks quite good.

"Zenith Pilot Chronograph in Silver.jpg"

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #6001 on: April 22, 2021, 12:29:53 am »
There are silver alloys that do not tarnish, e.g., argentium.

Silver is a different beast from bronze, IMHO. Bronze really takes on a multitude of hues as it patinates. Silver starts from being the whitest metal and turns grey, and then near black. It doesn't patina in a very interesting manner.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 12:35:46 am by JDelage »

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: April 22, 2021, 11:53:59 am »
yeah. the sales staff and I were having a chat about the silver. it really comes down to personal preference at the end of the day. I did mention that it was uncommon to have silver on watches and you don't see it too often, like the zenith @Graeme posted. they did mention that Tudor has added alloys to make sure it wouldn't tarnish. I also did mention that I do like my silver ageing/ oxidising as shown by the goros I was wearing.

@Anesthetist that is one of the best colour ways out there of the BB
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Chris

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: April 22, 2021, 04:18:19 pm »
I think more than the aesthetics of silver oxidation, I'd be concerned with the wear and tear.  Silver's pretty soft and watches get banged around a lot. Ok, maybe that's just mine, but still.

Of course, gold is even softer, and that's been used for watches since forever, so maybe I'm completely off base.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: April 22, 2021, 04:40:31 pm »
And platinum even softer?
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Eisenherz

• Haraki-san Expert
  • Der Hahn wird auf der Henne fett.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: April 22, 2021, 04:56:40 pm »
The advantage of platinum is that, unlike gold, it does not wear out.  The molecules just shift but are not lost.  Anyway, it's heavier than gold.  Wearing platinum is said to be incomparable. ;)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: April 22, 2021, 05:04:53 pm »
Interesting thank you.  I tried a Platinum Blancpain on once, it was all I could do to walk out of the shop without it....

"1527204906_1.jpg"
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: April 22, 2021, 05:21:12 pm »
The platinum Rolex (with the light blue dial) are *super heavy*.

@Eisenherz - Can you give precisions on what you wrote reg. Pl vs Au? I'm not sure I understand. Thanks.

Offline Eisenherz

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: April 22, 2021, 06:13:52 pm »
@JDelage

Gold loses  atoms while wearing it rubs off, so to speak.  This does not happen with platinum.  Here the atoms are just shifting back and forth while wearing.  They do not leave their atomic compound.  At some point (in 1000 years) gold disappeared through wear, platinum never.  Is that too much physics?  Sorry!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 06:21:07 pm by Eisenherz »

Offline Eisenherz

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: April 22, 2021, 06:29:05 pm »
this is my favorite, but I just stand in front of the shop window and press my nose wide on the glass.  they won't let me in :-\
"Screenshot_20210422-192447_Chrome.jpg"
Rolex President Ice blue Platinum

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: April 22, 2021, 06:33:50 pm »
I supposed 925 silver is made tougher than pure silver because of the alloys used. As compared to 950 and 995 which are more uncommon, 925 with 7.5 alloy is much strong than the latter.

in saying that though, I remember regretting choosing white gold over platinum for my ex wedding ring, which I regretted (not the ring)  :P, because of how soft white gold was and the scratches that came along compared to platinum, which I knew to be harder than all of the above.
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Chris

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: April 22, 2021, 07:03:40 pm »
Based on my wife's rings, platinum will get light scratches and eventually go from a polished finish to a satin finish, but it's far more durable than gold. Her rings look new still and my gold wedding ring is developing some worryingly thin spots.  Though to be fair, my ring is secondhand and a few decades older.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: April 22, 2021, 07:08:48 pm »
And I think I was wrong above, platinum is harder than gold....

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: April 22, 2021, 10:00:05 pm »
@Eisenherz - Do you have a name for this phenomenon? Never heard of it & would like to look into it. There are many gold artifacts dated thousands of years old, so I’m curious.

Offline Eisenherz

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: April 23, 2021, 05:02:41 am »
there is no term.  the atomic bond is very strong with platinum.
gold does not disappear by itself but it stains off when you wear it, platinum does not
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:06:16 am by Eisenherz »