Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Watches - another OCD problem  (Read 869320 times)

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: Watches - another OCD problem
« Reply #5370 on: May 20, 2019, 11:18:11 am »
I usually post about G-Shock in the other watch thread but...

https://www.g-central.com/solid-18k-gold-g-shock-g-d5000-9-now-offered-in-5-countries/

$70k

What in the actual fuck
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: May 21, 2019, 11:29:27 pm »
^ i already struggle to find reasoning to pay 2k for that GPS watch. i know they're brilliant watches and one of, if not, the most accurate watches around..
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline sabergirl

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: May 22, 2019, 12:37:12 am »
Yikes. I’d rather have a house, thanks. Of course, I feel that way about any luxury watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: May 22, 2019, 11:08:03 am »
Since bezel screws always mess with people's OCD, here's another article on them. :D

https://timeandtidewatches.com/the-problem-with-bezel-screws/

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: May 22, 2019, 11:37:56 am »
Grail inbound ......  ::)

Now, if anyone wants to buy an immaculate 1987/8 GMT Pepsi or 1970 black bezel GMT, PM me..... :)
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: May 22, 2019, 04:25:26 pm »
Looking forward to seeing what you're getting @Giles. I'm guessing it originates from Le Brassus.

I also hope that you're not taking my suggestion of trading the Rolexes in as being sound investment advice! ;D

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: May 22, 2019, 04:34:14 pm »
It may have  ;).  Mine is not new, so will have travelled a bit before getting to me.

I simply won't wear the Rolexes.  I love them both, but they sit in the safe not being worn.  Well, I'm actually not that disciplined, they live in this box, which is currently on my desk.....

"IMG_3348.JPG"

"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: May 22, 2019, 05:03:58 pm »
As long as it doesn't turn up looking like this poor Speedy!

"Abused Speedmaster"

And make sure that the GMTs aren't sitting on the desk next time I visit. :D

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: May 22, 2019, 05:29:35 pm »
Since bezel screws always mess with people's OCD, here's another article on them. :D

https://timeandtidewatches.com/the-problem-with-bezel-screws/

We can detect gravitational wave perturbations that are less than the width of a proton. I don't understand why aligning screws is such an engineering challenge. That screed would have been much more interesting and productive had it explained why that challenge is so insurmountable.
Think it, be it.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: May 22, 2019, 05:36:46 pm »
I agree with @mclaincausey . Given the tolerances required to make tourbillons, bridges, etc, I don't see why the screws can't be timed.

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: May 22, 2019, 05:40:18 pm »
To be clear, I'm strictly speaking of case-constructional screws, particularly if they are part of the watch's aesthetic, and to a lesser degree screw-down crowns. Movement screws being aligned? Not so much, I understand why that would be very difficult and not worth the effort.
Think it, be it.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: May 22, 2019, 06:50:56 pm »
Yes, me too. Thanks for the precision. I was mentioning the movement elements only to point out that they have the knowledge & tooling to do super precise work.

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: May 22, 2019, 07:41:11 pm »
Exactly--and to people who deride or dismiss this as a pointless conceit (as if a flying tourbillon is comparatively tame) or OCD (if they're highly visible in the case, why wouldn't you want them aligned?), we're talking about watches with highly, intricately decorated movements, oftentimes not even made visible through the case and dial, so not paying similar attention to exposed elements doesn't make sense to me. To others who say it's too labor-intensive or time-consuming to do it, that's a slap in the face to someone paying 5, 6, or even 7 figures for a timepiece.

Richard Mille's approach of a proprietary star-shaped screw is an interesting fix, reducing the visual jarring of independently-adjusted screws. Countersunk bolts is another way (Royal Oak) way to solve it that I find a bit goofy (why make it look like a screw when it's countersunk into a bezel and thus couldn't rotate in the first place?).

I'm a bit surprised given the attention to detail, precision, and general engineering achievement in the industry that no one has solved for this--at the least as a differentiator against the status quo, since novelty sells at all levels of horology.
Think it, be it.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: May 23, 2019, 03:42:58 pm »
"IMG_3349.JPG"

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: May 23, 2019, 03:57:33 pm »
That is very, very pretty. Does the bezel rotate?
Get ahead, go figure, go ahead and pull the trigger,
Everything under the gun.