Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World by Adam Grant
The Art of Thinking Clearly by Rolf Dobelli
"E pur si muove" ~ Galileo Galilei, 1633

Offline tvenuto

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #451 on: May 15, 2017, 03:35:08 am »
Think I'm going to start the first round of my semi-annual date with Blood Meridian.  It's been too long since the Judge and I conversed.  I'm obsessed with this book.  Anyone else share my addiction?
I put on my pants the same way you do, I just put on better pants.

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 15, 2017, 03:51:04 am »
Think I'm going to start the first round of my semi-annual date with Blood Meridian.  It's been too long since the Judge and I conversed.  I'm obsessed with this book.  Anyone else share my addiction?
Blood Meridian is great. Still waiting for a proper film adaptation

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline tvenuto

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 15, 2017, 04:30:44 am »

While I would like to see this, I submit that casting the Judge is utterly impossible.  That's not to mention that you'd need a savant directing as well.

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 15, 2017, 09:42:37 am »

While I would like to see this, I submit that casting the Judge is utterly impossible.  That's not to mention that you'd need a savant directing as well.
I could see David Morse playing the judge. I think there are a few capable directors out there -- the guy who directed The Revenant comes to mind. The question is, how faithful to the source material would they have to be?

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline BloodnThunder

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
    • Preferential Treatment
« Reply #455 on: May 15, 2017, 02:37:47 pm »

Also agree.  Blood Meridian is one of my all time favorites.  Basically everything Cormac writes is gold.

Offline tvenuto

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 15, 2017, 04:07:59 pm »

I could see David Morse playing the judge. I think there are a few capable directors out there -- the guy who directed The Revenant comes to mind. The question is, how faithful to the source material would they have to be?

For me it's less about faithfulness to events than to capturing the feeling of it. For instance how do you communicate the below:

"In the neuter austerity of that terrain all phenomena were bequeathed a strange equality and no one thing nor spider nor stone nor blade of grass could put forth claim to precedence. The very clarity of these articles belied their familiarity, for the eye predicates the whole on some feature or part and here was nothing more luminous than another and nothing more enshadowed and in the optical democracy of such landscapes all preference is made whimsical and a man and a rock become endowed with unguessed kinship."

The convenience store scene in no country does a phenomenal job of capturing McCarthy. The shot of the slowly uncrumpling wrapper is perfection. However in Blood Meridian you have the added complication that events may not actually be as they seem, and this is difficult to do in a non-farcical way. Also I've read the damn thing going on 7 times now and I still don't fully feel like I have the complete picture, so how could some crucial, and yet mostly hidden, aspect of it not get lost in translation?

Offline Dishelveled

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 15, 2017, 05:05:44 pm »
Awesome description @tvenuto
Looks like we found said, 'savant director'!

Your write up whet my literary curiosity way more than Wikipedia's, lol.  Checking into used copies now...

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Instagram: defy_delphi

Offline BloodnThunder

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
    • Preferential Treatment
« Reply #459 on: July 06, 2017, 03:35:04 am »
Just read Hillbilly Elegy in a day and a half this past weekend.  Very interesting and easy read.  Without going into the political details I can see some folks getting quite upset with some of the content.  Highly recommend reading......  Especially for the American folk on here.

Offline tvenuto

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 06, 2017, 07:10:53 pm »
Just finished American Gods on a friends recommendation. Didn't love it, but wasn't bad. Just didn't really feel significant in any way. The characters may have learned something along the way, but I don't feel like I did.

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 05, 2017, 03:25:51 pm »
Equoid by Charles Stross. A novella you can read for free on Tor.com, set in the Laundry universe (which I really need to work through) about unicorns and Lovecraftian stuff.

I'm about halfway through. Apparently it gets really twisted in a not-at-all-suitable for children manner.

Online Cutlasshound

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 19, 2017, 09:29:29 pm »
Just read "The Minority Report" and "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" for the first time. Thoroughly enjoyed both, plus I now understand the meaning behind No Kipple!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ain't got time to bleed.

Offline Megatron1505

• 見習いボス
  • HC-IH-01 HWB-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 19, 2017, 09:33:20 pm »
You must explain it to me some day  :D
Made in England, clothed in Japan, fed in America and drunk in Belgium !

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 20, 2017, 10:02:52 am »
 :D :D :D :D
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011