Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Brexit - AKA Shit I Don't Need in my Life  (Read 5905 times)

Offline Danny RnH

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
    • Rivet & Hide
Brexit - AKA Shit I Don't Need in my Life
« on: June 22, 2016, 08:04:01 pm »
Tomorrow the UK faces a huge decision of whether to remain or leave the European Union.
I am laying the cards on the table here as a small business. Leaving the EU would have a hugely negative impact on us. Rivet & Hide is definitely stronger in Europe. We need to stay in the single market with 500 million of our European friends.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:02:54 am by Giles »

Offline KEVINSTEED

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit AKA Shit I Don't Need in my Life
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 08:19:40 pm »
Tomorrow the UK faces a huge decision of whether to remain or leave the European Union.
I am laying the cards on the table here as a small business. Leaving the EU would have a hugely negative impact on us. Rivet & Hide is definitely stronger in Europe.

Immigration is and has been the bedrock of our culture. We are a nation of immigrants and I feel we're all better off for that fact.

Danny I second that "IN"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 4c

• 啓蒙家
  • Höllenhund
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 04:43:08 am »
As someone not living in the EU... (I.E. a 'Merican.) I've been wondering if/how this whole thing would affect IH and its retail network.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 04:55:43 am »
No one knows.  That's why in my opinion this whole thing is a farcical waste of time.....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline thomas01

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 06:05:17 am »
The EU is inefficient money waste bureaucracy monster. I`m not sure what is better for the people in UK. .  It is hard for us if they leave but I can understand it. 
And what will be happened with Iron Heart and Rivet and Hide. IMO nothing. I bought things online in Swiss, Norway etc. and I never had any problems with taxes or other things…
Nothing bad that is just me

Offline Cole

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 07:24:45 am »
Well for me ordering directly from IH UK would be out of the question then (if the prices remain as they are), because I could add 19% VAT and custom fees. These sucker work very thoroughly here and never ever missed one single parcel from outside the EU for me. :(

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-87 XL
IHE-13

Offline Finkster

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 10:56:01 am »
^ full agreement!   ::)  >:(  :(

Offline Dion

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:57:44 am »
Just read the UK might stay in the EU market even if they decide to leave the EU.

Offline Irkku Paska

• Haraki-san Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:19 am »
 Guys, there's the political bureaucracy of the EU, then there are commercial arrangements. Just because the UK splits from EU political bodies does not mean they leave the customs union automatically. Think Norway which has a trade treaty with Europe but does not participate politically.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 11:02:38 am »
Exactly.....And I'll nail my colours to the mast, I will be voting to stay in.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 11:04:39 am by Giles »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Danny RnH

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
    • Rivet & Hide
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:02:16 pm »
Guys, there's the political bureaucracy of the EU, then there are commercial arrangements. Just because the UK splits from EU political bodies does not mean they leave the customs union automatically. Think Norway which has a trade treaty with Europe but does not participate politically.

Unfortunately, all the politicians leading the Out campaign have also stated they want to leave the Single Market because with that privilege you have to accept, as Norway does, free movement of people.

It would depend on the common sense of European leaders (not sure our own have any right now) Will they want to make sure the UK has a worse deal trade wise to deter other EU exit parties in their own countries OR will they want trade to flow as easily as it does now?

The Spanish in particular don't want it to be easy for the UK otherwise the independence parties in Catalunya will be confident a break from union with Spain will be pain free with regards to EU membership. It will get very messy.

Ultimately, I understand and respect most arguments for and against. Business concerns aside, I love the Europe I have grown up in. I lived 15 years in Madrid and before that several years in France and Italy. Every bureaucracy has its shortcomings but basically the EU is a group of democratic countries attempting to work alongside each other and that's a good thing.

It's going to be a long night. I'm planning on passing out early after plenty of beer.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 06:07:23 pm by Danny RnH »

Offline 501/IH

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 06:39:59 pm »
Well for me ordering directly from IH UK would be out of the question then (if the prices remain as they are), because I could add 19% VAT and custom fees. These sucker work very thoroughly here and never ever missed one single parcel from outside the EU for me. :(

QFT

The idea that we were to face customs charges for shipments from the UK is sheer horror indeed. Bastards. German customs are just the worst.

My take is simple: I'm both an Anglophile and pro-Europe, with all the shortcomings that sadly and inevitably exist. I'm also fairly optimistic that our British fiends will vote to stay in after all.
However, if not, I'm all for a very decisive stance in the negotiations on how an exit really would be orchestrated. If there are hardships for the Brits, so be it. It's them who opted out if they really should be foolhardy enough. Then the consequences should be felt, and it should deter other nations for entertaining similar ideas.
Keep your jeans on---and let nothing come in between you and the denim !

Offline rocket

• Mod Squad
  • Team Humbug
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 06:42:24 pm »
I might be proven wrong by tomorrow, but I believe remain will be the vote...

Personal I think this is not about the EU, it's a desire to get something back, something that have fadded away over the years.

I understand the fear of losing the grown up in identiy, all the little things that might have changed summing up to a bigger that's no longer look like as it used to be... but will be a romantic view on to the past reverse something, or give you back the "Great" that you might be hoping to find. I don't think so...

rocketrocksrox 🤙🏼🤙🏾

It's all humbug, like everywhere
R.I.P. Geo

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 06:50:13 pm »
What concerns me most about this, is that if we vote to leave, it will be to a large part because of the over 65's who are looking at the 1950's and 60's through rose tinted glasses and want to get back to what they think we had. 

Trouble is if we do leave, it is precisely those stupid old fuckers that won't have to live long with the consequences.....

Offline Irkku Paska

• Haraki-san Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 06:53:34 pm »
What concerns me most about this is if we vote to leave it will be to a large part because the over 65's who are looking at the 1950's and 60's through rose tinted glasses and want to get back to what they think we had. 

Trouble is if we do leave, it is precisely those stupid old fuckers that won't have to live long with the consequences.....

Got to agree with you there Giles. The longer term perspective is missing. I don't think that any of the UK's problems, real contrived or perceived will be solved by a no vote which amounts to a knee jerk reaction brought about by populist politics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk