Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Random Rants  (Read 779099 times)

Offline Stuart.T

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
Re: Random Rants
« Reply #10155 on: November 28, 2019, 06:34:00 am »
GDPR, the Data Protection Act 2018, and other legislation that serve to protect personal data much more stringently have been worked around so quickly, particularly across international boarders, that it is frightening.

I guess doing the job I do, and working across multi agencies for things like safeguarding, anti-gang strategies etc, I see how data can be used to profile and track people's habits and movements... Data collected under the guise of benign marketing and social media accounts.

I'd say that contributing occasional posts to the IH forum is as close to an online profile as I have, yet the odd rogue advertising campaign still makes its way to my inbox.

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
    • Iron Heart
« Reply #10156 on: November 28, 2019, 08:53:25 am »
Well, it's being weaponized, but that article does not say it is against me.  Call me simple, stupid, naive, whatever you want, but I don't particularly mind if data about me is being used to better target information to me.  If I thought I was in the market for a fast Italian sportscar, I'd far rather have ads presented to me from Ferarri, Lamborghini, and Maserati than ads from Hyundai, Vauxhall and Kia......

Agree, all the rhetoric of folks who want no tracking. For me I'm happy to give it up for more relevant info. GDPR is an absolute joke. Every website enforces (basically) accepting cookies anyhow, what a waste of fluff that piece of it was.

Offline organisys

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: November 28, 2019, 12:37:45 pm »
GDPR, the Data Protection Act 2018, and other legislation that serve to protect personal data much more stringently have been worked around so quickly, particularly across international boarders, that it is frightening.

I guess doing the job I do, and working across multi agencies for things like safeguarding, anti-gang strategies etc, I see how data can be used to profile and track people's habits and movements... Data collected under the guise of benign marketing and social media accounts.

I'd say that contributing occasional posts to the IH forum is as close to an online profile as I have, yet the odd rogue advertising campaign still makes its way to my inbox.

Firefox with uBlock Origin and EFF's Privacy Badger
Adguard DNS.

Internet WAS great....  >:(

GDPR is better than nothing but 'legitimate interest' clause is a worry.

Offline Stuart.T

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: November 28, 2019, 01:55:52 pm »
Given some member's initial comments about being bombarded by Black Friday marketing, I'm presuming just as much online as on TV or the highstreet, I responded by basically suggesting that people are more careful about how they share their data, and search engines such as Ecosia are considerate of that, more than the long established giants of the industry are.

The reality is that we are more likely to be victim of, or know someone who has been victim of, cyber crime, than we are of being victim of violent crime (a general statement aimed at industrialised nations).

Its frightening just how much info is available about us just by asking the right person. Legitimate or not. Yes, you might get bespoke advertising tailored to your exact preferences, but the state and (other criminals 🤔) can easily find out where you are and who you are with, regardless of propensity to uploading selfies on Instagram or whatever platform.

My message was simply 'take care of your important stuff'. If that is wrong, we'll...

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: November 28, 2019, 02:17:34 pm »
I get that, but when you book a hotel or a flight or a concert or whatever, by phone or in writing, someone somewhere knows where you won't be (home)...I'm not saying don't be careful, rather that the world is a dodgy place, it's not just the internet....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
Random Rants
« Reply #10160 on: November 28, 2019, 02:27:28 pm »
The Internet of Things is real. It isn’t people processing all of this info it’s this network of devices, machines and servers designed to harvest, analyse and act on the data we often unwittingly provide.

A lot of the time this can be great for everyone, including the consumer. An issue for me though,  is when it is used to identify users who are vulnerable and exploit that. For example, it is now possible to identify users suffering from depression, who are therefore more vulnerable to certain behaviours (excessive consumption, reckless economic decisions, indulgung unhealthy habits), and then target marketing at those people. It posts some boss level ethical questions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 02:29:27 pm by neph93 »

Online gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: November 28, 2019, 02:46:07 pm »
This is probably my first Black Friday where I didn’t buy anything for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline BD81

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: November 28, 2019, 03:18:18 pm »

Same here... got a good chunk of Christmas shopping out of the way now though. 🎁🤘

Offline scooter

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: November 28, 2019, 04:03:11 pm »

You're not out of the woods, yet. Black Friday is still a day away. ;)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Online gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: November 28, 2019, 04:52:34 pm »

You're not out of the woods, yet. Black Friday is still a day away. ;)

I’ll be buying Pokémon cards for my son, so there’s that

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-19

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: December 05, 2019, 04:45:43 pm »
Fidget devices used by adults

Seriously, what the fuck

You're a grown up, have some goddamn self control
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Offline DougNg

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: December 05, 2019, 04:46:31 pm »
And if you have an anxiety disorder: drugs. Not fidget doo dads
I know violence is not the answer, I got it wrong on purpose

Online gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: December 11, 2019, 05:04:22 pm »

Just noticed this hole in the sleeve of my Patagonia down jacket this morning. I haven’t even owned it for a year Luckily, they have an ironclad guarantee and will repair it for free. Takes 1 month though

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-19

Offline Chris

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: December 11, 2019, 05:17:05 pm »
If you don't mind the DIY look, Patagonia also sells Tenacious Tape patch kits, and that stuff works really well.  Doesn't take a month, either.

Online gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: December 11, 2019, 05:35:41 pm »
I looked at the tape and I’d rather have them repair it. If they didn’t offer repairs then I’d do the tape

WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-19