Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Iron Chef WAYCT - What Are You Cooking Today  (Read 321034 times)

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Chef WAYCT - What Are You Cooking Today
« Reply #2805 on: October 23, 2020, 06:38:37 pm »
Tomorrow night we have (4 other, making it 6 in total, because that is all we are allowed  :)) people around for dinner.  Wanted it to be simple, no aggro when they are here, fodder.  So I am doing Lasagne, made the meat sauce this afternoon....

Nice casserole... and butternut pumkin
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: October 23, 2020, 06:43:32 pm »
The Pumpkin (Butternut Squash), gets cut up into chunks and baked with olive oil, crushed coriander seeds and dried red chillis.  It then forms one of the layers in the Lasagne.....Yeah, I know, not exactly traditional.  It's a Jame Oliver recipe, and we love it......

In fact, we love the baked squash so much, we now have it as one of the vegetables with most roast dinners.....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline jordanscollected

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: October 23, 2020, 07:17:32 pm »
That's a really smart idea @Giles to differentiate your lasagna. We have made many variations playing with grinding our own pork and making long simmer sauces, to hand rolling our own noodles. we will try this next in a layer to add some sweetness and velvety mouthfeel.

One other tip is make a nice pungent pesto and spread it on the plate under the lasagna when serving. It adds a burst of flavor.
I do what my wife asks, while wearing Iron Heart

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: October 23, 2020, 07:31:31 pm »
Great idea...

I'll drop a note here tomorrow saying how I do the Butternut squash....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: October 23, 2020, 07:40:58 pm »
The Pumpkin (Butternut Squash), gets cut up into chunks and baked with olive oil, crushed coriander seeds and dried red chillis.  It then forms one of the layers in the Lasagne.....Yeah, I know, not exactly traditional.  It's a Jame Oliver recipe, and we love it......

In fact, we love the baked squash so much, we now have it as one of the vegetables with most roast dinners.....

Have baked pumpkin as a side dish quite often too... if I want to give it a mediterranen touch, I bake it with fresh sage leaves, thyme and pine nuts
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline jordanscollected

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: October 23, 2020, 08:22:27 pm »
@Chap we in the U.S. can't afford Pine Nuts (said in jest, but they are incredibly expensive). What else do you do, eat Marcona Almond butter on toast as a snack?
I do what my wife asks, while wearing Iron Heart

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: October 23, 2020, 09:10:24 pm »
@Chap we in the U.S. can't afford Pine Nuts (said in jest, but they are incredibly expensive). What else do you do, eat Marcona Almond butter on toast as a snack?

Pine Nuts we buy usually do come from Sicily... I would think 100gr are about 4-5 €. But you only need a view... Marcona Almonds are about the same.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: October 24, 2020, 09:57:29 am »
Spicy roast Butternut Squash.  I'm going to use this as one of the layers in my Lasagne.  But we often cook as a stand-alone veg to go with Roasts..

Take one Butternut Squash
"IMG_7536 2.JPG"

Top and tail, and cut into bits, discard the seeds and pulp
"IMG_7537.JPG"

Chop into small chunks and pop in ziplock, pour in a good slug of olive oil
"IMG_7538.JPG"

Bash up some Dried Chilli's and Coriander Seeds (sometimes I'll add some paprika and/or cumin seeds)
"IMG_7539 2.JPG"

Pop some salt and pepper and the spices into the ziplock, seal and wait
"IMG_7540.JPG"

I'm not sure whether it actually needs to "marinade", but I always do....

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: October 24, 2020, 12:33:41 pm »
Butternut Squash - nice and baked
"IMG_7549.JPG"

Assembling
"IMG_7550.JPG"

"IMG_7551.JPG"

"IMG_7552.JPG"

"IMG_7553.JPG"

It is at this point I realise I need white sauce for the top too - and I've already used it all - insert "tosser emoji"

So there will be an interlude, whilst I go to the supermarket to get Crème fraîche

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: October 24, 2020, 01:02:08 pm »
"IMG_7554.JPG"

"IMG_6534 2.JPG"

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: October 24, 2020, 01:03:25 pm »
For a Béchamel you only need butter, flour and milk, some salt and nutmeg... no Crème fraîche needed  :P

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: October 24, 2020, 01:18:19 pm »
I'm cheating.....

But that does remind me, I've used all the nutmeg that I bought last time I was in Oman.  I'm scheduled to be back there in April (effing Covid permitting)......
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:21:07 pm by Giles »

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: October 24, 2020, 01:19:48 pm »
Ready for the oven, which won't happen for a few hours.  Time to kick back and watch the Portuguese Grand Prix qually.....

"IMG_2302.JPG"

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: October 24, 2020, 02:34:15 pm »
Found some mushrooms in the woods this morning...

"DB7905A5-CF67-4D09-B986-364C28A133E7.jpeg"

"41AF0407-E263-4539-8FCF-978A760936A5.jpeg""0C011B31-2C7F-48DE-A118-C24ACC33AAFF.jpeg"

Char, Risotto Porcini, Catalogna

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: October 25, 2020, 07:28:05 am »
"IMG_9216.JPG"