Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Iron Chef WAYCT - What Are You Cooking Today  (Read 247730 times)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Chef WAYCT - What Are You Cooking Today
« Reply #2490 on: February 02, 2020, 10:50:16 am »
And ready for the oven.....

"IMG_4886.JPG"
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: February 02, 2020, 11:12:45 am »
That's a serious piece of meat...enjoy! And the reason why I have that huge british range cooker in my kitchen as well.  ;)

I know there are some vegetarians here in the forum and I must admit, I agree to most of their arguments, but sometimes it got to be a nice piece of beef... sorry. I really don't need meat daily, actually we do have meat once a week and we don't eat things like sausage or bacon very often. When buying meat it's from small eco-breeders just around the corner. Very lucky having that opportunity.
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: February 02, 2020, 12:14:24 pm »
"IMG_4876.jpg"
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: February 02, 2020, 12:21:58 pm »
With that kind of pieces of beef, I've had good success by cooking sous-vide for ~4hrs and finishing in a 500C oven for 5-10mn.

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: February 02, 2020, 01:02:49 pm »
 8) @Giles very difficult to get this cut here... we call it "Hochrippe" I usually tell them, I want a 5kg Rip-Eye-Steak  :D ... hope your (not) cooking it thoroughly  ;)
God has blessed you richly, so get down on your knees and thank him. Don’t forget the less fortunate or God will personally kick your ass. I’d love to do it for him, but I can’t be everywhere. Willie Nelson

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: February 02, 2020, 01:04:27 pm »
With that kind of pieces of beef, I've had good success by cooking sous-vide for ~4hrs and finishing in a 500C oven for 5-10mn.

Yes that's a good way of course and if you got a 500C oven...  8)

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: February 02, 2020, 01:27:47 pm »
Sorry - was thinking F degrees, not C degrees.

Replace that by "the highest your oven goes up to."

Offline motojobobo

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: February 02, 2020, 06:39:52 pm »
We had a predominantly carnivorous party for 25 people yesterday...

This lamb slowly cooked and smoked for 5 hours. It was delicious and voted the best dish by most attendees

"4C6D7CEC-7A96-4CC6-8975-D3594228A96C.jpeg"

This suckling pig was cooked in an oven-type contraption (locally called caja china, chinese box) where the coals sit on the box’s lid. This gives easy access to the heat source for adjustments along the way. So heat comes primarily from above but the box retains heat and acts mostly like an oven. The skin comes out a perfect crisp. This took 2 hours.

"4CAC2E7D-83B2-4099-A4DE-860FA52AD0C7.jpeg"

We also had some beef ribs on a barbecue pit for people not fond of pork or lamb, but forgot to take a pic as that is a more common dish around here.
The journey is the objective.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: February 03, 2020, 05:22:20 am »
Superb!

Offline ROman

• Iron Heart Deity
  • Madman across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: February 04, 2020, 09:28:44 pm »
Made my first Pastitsio!

Total success! But damn the thing is heavy!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

This is my favorite Greek dish. I make it often. Looks great,

Offline ROman

• Iron Heart Deity
  • Madman across the water
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: February 04, 2020, 09:32:54 pm »
@Giles , How did your roast turn out? It's a great cut of meat. Christmas day I made a 17lb. one. The largest I've ever done. Smeared butter and Garlic on top, Seared it for 15 minutes, then lowered the oven temp and roasted it until internal temp of 130 F. Also add water to the bottom of the pan and cover it for the roasting for moist heat. Served with scalloped potatoes and creamed spinach."IMG-20191225-WA0021.jpg"

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: February 04, 2020, 09:41:59 pm »
That looks great.  Mine turned out fab thanks, was too red-wined up to take pics though.... :) :)

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: February 05, 2020, 06:25:32 am »
Looks amazing @ROman ... the percentage of cooking men is higher-than-avarage in this forum  :D

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: February 05, 2020, 06:12:31 pm »
"359F8EE9-B759-4C32-A70C-EDFD3D99E5E3.jpeg"

Katsuobushi (Bonito Flakes)
Kombu (Kelp)
Dried Shiitake

Broth for Ramen

Offline Chap

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: February 05, 2020, 07:37:08 pm »
"7FB8ABD0-8484-41AC-9FB5-9CAF2D7233AB.jpeg"

Actually not a Ramen, just a noodle soup