Hi, Guest

Author Topic: The (Less intimidating) Watch Thread  (Read 53384 times)

Offline UnTucked

• Mod Squad
  • UnTucked Gentleman
    • View Profile
The (Less intimidating) Watch Thread
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:29:40 am »
After some talking with Giles, we thought it would be a good idea to create a thread for beginners to the watch collecting hobby (Like myself), and those who are just curious and want to learn more about watches in general.

There is already an AMAZING watch thread here, but it is definitely an overwhelming place for a beginner that's barely dipped their toes in the shallow end of the pool.

I hope this thread to be a place where those of us who are just getting in to the hobby to ask questions, share information and tips, and grow our knowledge and collections from Timex and Seiko, on up to Rolex (And beyond).

Enjoy!
In search of:
IHJ-30, med.
IHV-03, med.

Offline Megatron1505

• Mod Squad
  • HC-IH-01 HWB-01
    • View Profile
Re: The (Less intimidating) Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14:58 pm »
"image.jpg"

Good idea, I like watches but can’t see myself dropping mega bucks on one for a while yet. Until then I like the basic Timex Expedition, it’s pretty and keeps good time.
Made in England, clothed in Japan, fed in America and drunk in Belgium !

Offline bryaneidins70

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:47:14 pm »
I don't know anything about movements and jewels etc, so base everything on looks. I've looking for a watch for my Mrs 40th next year and I have been looking at some old Omega's.

The 70's 'Cosmics' can be picked up for fair money. 

"Omega_Seamaster_Cosmic_2000_DayDate_dial_grande.jpg"

"OddShapeOmega28Cosmic.jpg"
"Good news boppers, the big alert has been called off, turns out that the early reports were wrong, all wrong. Now for that group out there that had such a hard time getting home, sorry about that, I guess the only thing we can do is play you a song"

Offline UnTucked

• Mod Squad
  • UnTucked Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:52:30 pm »
I don't know anything about movements and jewels etc, so base everything on looks..

I'm at "that place" right now, and I'm hoping to get more information through this thread.

Btw, those look nice!
In search of:
IHJ-30, med.
IHV-03, med.

Offline UnTucked

• Mod Squad
  • UnTucked Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 02:02:37 pm »
This is my one watch right now, a Maranez "Talay" diver watch in brass.

www.maranez.com/talay-o.php

I've had it for 2 years, and barely wear it, because the strap is just uncomfortable, and I never got around to buying something more comfy to put it on. Planning to get a NATO for it in the future, so I can start wearing it more.

I don't have anything else to compare it to, so I won't rant or rave, but from my research about movements and features, it seems to be a solid watch for the price.

*Not to mention I got it on discount, because when I ordered it, the brand owners were on vacation and unable to ship it in a timely manner.
In search of:
IHJ-30, med.
IHV-03, med.

Offline louisbosco

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 02:04:33 pm »
I don't know anything about movements and jewels etc, so base everything on looks. I've looking for a watch for my Mrs 40th next year and I have been looking at some old Omega's.

look up 6694 rolex oyster date. vintage, fairly decent pricing and with a good leather strap. can be quite a beauty..
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Megatron1505

• Mod Squad
  • HC-IH-01 HWB-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 02:54:16 pm »
Can i start a watch thread for people who think anything over £100 is a lot for a watch  :D
Made in England, clothed in Japan, fed in America and drunk in Belgium !

Offline Dstauffer

• 啓蒙家
  • Wear in good health.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »
Hamilton (IMHO) is another brand that may offer “beginners” a variety of choices at a fairly reasonable price point.
You won’t be satisfied until you wear Iron Heart.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 03:43:41 pm »
@Alex sold a Hamilton today....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline UnTucked

• Mod Squad
  • UnTucked Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 04:02:24 pm »
Hamilton (IMHO) is another brand that may offer “beginners” a variety of choices at a fairly reasonable price point.

It's a brand that I see mentioned often for entry level quality. And apparently the Khaki Field Watch is quite a deal, especially if it can be found at a discount or second-hand.

http://www.hamiltonwatch.com/collection/khaki/field/auto-40mm/h70595963-khaki-field-auto-40mm

In search of:
IHJ-30, med.
IHV-03, med.

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
The (Less intimidating) Watch Thread
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 05:50:33 pm »
^I would have one of them... One of the looks I'm considering.

Probably not necessary to mention this but avoiding expensive watches by fashion brands is a must. Hot Ingrid bought me a (unasked for) Marc Jacobs ( ) watch about six years ago and it was the biggest piece of shit I've ever owned.

It cost about 350 quid, and the pins (?) holding the strap to the watch would bend or break once a month. The jewellers it was bought from tried charging me 25 quid for  new ones every time it happened, obviously I refused. Eventually I took it to a quality watch shop in Oslo and they said it was made in such a way that the actual watch was too heavy for the gauge of pin used. Design fail much? In addition the rubber coating on the chain became greasy and disgusting and the watch let in water and got condensation under the glass all the time, despite being allegedly water proof.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 06:12:41 pm by neph93 »

Offline Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 06:12:34 pm »
Still wearing me 100€ Citizen Eco-Drive... Daily... Gets abused at work... I tore the whole pin out once, accidentally... Shoved it back in, and it just went back to work...

It's ridiculously accurate, has a titanium bracelet, and sapphire glass... Bit like a 1995 Subaru: absolutely boring, but amazing value for money...

Offline sabergirl

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2017, 06:43:02 pm »
The beat up Seiko turtle that I got desperately needs a service (surprise, surprise). So, I’ve been wearing my quartz 7N36-7A09. I really dig it, and imo quartz is the best to “set it and forget it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Chris

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2017, 07:57:36 pm »
The Hamilton Khaki field watches are solid buys.  I have a chrono buried in a box somewhere.  And a Hamilton X-Wind, too.

Man, I gotta sell some stuff...

Offline bryaneidins70

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 08:10:04 pm »
Love that old Seiko @sabergirl.

Totally agree with Reuben, stay away from Boss, Armani, etc watches.
"Good news boppers, the big alert has been called off, turns out that the early reports were wrong, all wrong. Now for that group out there that had such a hard time getting home, sorry about that, I guess the only thing we can do is play you a song"