See product in shop
Hi, Guest

Author Topic: IH-888S-21MB - 21oz Selvedge Denim Medium/High Rise Tapered Cut - Mad Black  (Read 2156 times)

Offline AdamJ

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
IH-888S-21MB - 21oz Selvedge Denim Medium/High Rise Tapered Cut - Mad Black

Our high rise relaxed tapered cut 21oz indigo selvedge denim jeans which have undergone a bit of "black magic" - overdyed twice using two different black dyes and two different methods - resulting in a very black finish that will fade very slowly.  Don't ask for details of how it's done, Haraki is keeping this dark art a secret.

Sizes 29-34, 36, 38, 40

USD400

Available at 16:00GMT on Monday 23rd November

"_IH22112.jpg""_IH22119.jpg"

Complete this form if you would like to know when they arrive at IHUK.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:38:11 am by AdamJ »
The devil is in the detail..

Offline AdamJ

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
These will be online at 16:00GMT today. Measurements to follow shortly.

:)

Offline AdamJ

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
STOCKISTS

Iron Heart UK

CZECH REPUBLIC
Denim Heads

Offline AdamJ

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile

Offline AdamJ

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Adam C wears Tag 33

"_IH20258-Edit.jpg"

Offline Steve

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
insta
@saturdaytypefever
@ironheart_steve

Offline Wickwrackrum

• Raw and Unwashed
    • View Profile
Any sizing notes from anyone who picked these up? I'm tempted, but that waist measurement has me thinking I might need a 36 instead of my normal 34.

Online Paul9221

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
Any sizing notes from anyone who picked these up? I'm tempted, but that waist measurement has me thinking I might need a 36 instead of my normal 34.
I haven't picked this up (waiting on the XHS) but if it helps, going by the measurement chart, I would probably pick up a 34 in these where I would normally pick up a 32.  So you're probably not crazy :)
Blanket-line all the things!!!

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
The waist does look an inch smaller on these than on other iterations. I normally size down to a W33 but would go W34 in these.
Get ahead, go figure, go ahead and pull the trigger,
Everything under the gun.

Offline chrikelnel

• Haraki-san Student
    • View Profile
How different are these from the superblack?

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
IH-888S-21MB - 21oz Selvedge Denim Medium/High Rise Tapered Cut - Mad Black
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 10:05:52 pm »
Very. Or at least as different as two black jeans can be.

Superblack uses a reactive dye that fuses with the cotton fibres meaning it will not fade. The denim is also fabric dyed meaning it receives colouring before being cut and sewn.

The “Mad Black” is over-dyed with two different fugitive dyes. Fugitive dyes do not form a bond with the cotton fibres meaning they will rub off the cotton with abrasion and agitation. This results in it fading. Overdyed products are also garment dyed. These were originally a finished pair of indigo jeans, IH-888s, that have been dyed with the fugitive dyes after they were cut and sewn.

On an aesthetic level the differences are that the SB will retain their colour and have a stiffer hand and a truer black colour. The Mad Black will be much softer because of the extra processes and will have a matte black colour. They will also fade. Finally sizing will be slightly different as these are different iterations of the same cut and overdying removes all possible shrinkage from the fabric.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:08:54 pm by neph93 »

Offline chrikelnel

• Haraki-san Student
    • View Profile
Re: IH-888S-21MB - 21oz Selvedge Denim Medium/High Rise Tapered Cut - Mad Black
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 11:28:16 pm »
Very. Or at least as different as two black jeans can be.

Superblack uses a reactive dye that fuses with the cotton fibres meaning it will not fade. The denim is also fabric dyed meaning it receives colouring before being cut and sewn.

The “Mad Black” is over-dyed with two different fugitive dyes. Fugitive dyes do not form a bond with the cotton fibres meaning they will rub off the cotton with abrasion and agitation. This results in it fading. Overdyed products are also garment dyed. These were originally a finished pair of indigo jeans, IH-888s, that have been dyed with the fugitive dyes after they were cut and sewn.

On an aesthetic level the differences are that the SB will retain their colour and have a stiffer hand and a truer black colour. The Mad Black will be much softer because of the extra processes and will have a matte black colour. They will also fade. Finally sizing will be slightly different as these are different iterations of the same cut and overdying removes all possible shrinkage from the fabric.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just keep hoping they bring back the 888 superblack.

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 05:30:46 am »

Thanks for the info, I'll probably just keep hoping they bring back the 888 superblack.

Never say never, but there are no plans for that as far as I know. They are currently listed as extinct and not many IH products are phoenixed from that.

https://www.ironheart.co.uk/extinct/ih-888s-sb.html

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 09:03:08 am »
We really want to bring back the superblack selvedge denim, and if we do, we'll phoenix the 888 in that denim.  Trouble is that we have so many cool denims in the works that Alex and I keep on putting the superblack denim production run off.

So, long story short, it may well happen, but no time soon...
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Weft 4 Dead

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2021, 11:11:25 pm »
Sorry for being a painus in the anus, asking the same question across 2 threads: how well do these breathe?

Just weighing up my options re: black denim in my size.
IHJ-95-BLK, IHJ-98-OLV, IHSH-281-BLK, IHSH-283-WHT, IHSH-286-GRN, IH-726-OLV