Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Giles' Kayak......  (Read 4819 times)

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: Giles' Kayak......
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2021, 06:48:37 pm »
No, which is why I have mounted the battery in a locknlock with a plug on the lid (yet to be fitted), that way I can easily take the locknlock out of the forward hatch compartment, which is likely where I will stow it, and take it home for a charge with this...

"IMG_9676.JPG"

The battery is 10Ah, so I should get 20 hours out of one charge no probs.  And being Lithium Phosphate, it should be good for 3,000 charges.
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline TinMan

• 啓蒙家
  • Now, I have an IRONHEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2021, 09:20:11 pm »
I like that plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TinMan
Now, I have an IRONHEART!!

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2021, 10:53:19 pm »
Good, because I am flying by the seat of my pants  ;). Plus, as much Googling as humanly possible  :)
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2021, 11:53:04 pm »
@Giles

I don’t know what your experience is with kayaking, but you may want to take a few trips out and get use to it before you load it up.

When I first started sea kayaking, I practiced a lot of exits and getting back in my boat in fairly shallow water.  It helped me learn tipping points and counter balancing techniques.  I also found getting back into the boat more challenging than I assumed it would be.  My first accidental flip over went reasonably well, because I had practiced beforehand.

I know your boat is a sit on which is different, but stability exercises could be helpful (especially when fishing).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:55:31 pm by goosehd »

Offline Paul9221

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2021, 12:36:17 am »
^ this guy Kayaks!

I only kayaked once and absolutely tipped when getting out.
Blanket-line all the things!!!

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2021, 06:42:43 am »
Thank you, Dennis.  I will be staying within the confines of Portsmouth Harbour for the first few trips, so no open water stuff. 

I kayaked a bit in a past life and leaned to roll and re-enter, so it's not entirely alien to me.  But we do have a maxim in our house, if Giles could possibly fall over, he will  - I blame it on only having 8 toes.....

Having said all that, the Hobie Outback is amazingly stable....

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 07:35:35 am by Giles »

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:12 am »
Thank you, Dennis.  I will be staying within the confines of Portsmouth Harbour

North PH i hope, in a battle of Wightlink Car Ferry with wind over tide vs Giles' Kayak, there is a clear winner

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2021, 09:09:36 am »
Unless I am inadvertently sucked out, I have zero intention of ever going through the mouth of the harbour......

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2021, 11:41:24 am »
That video is impressive, but if I tried that with my kayak and I would go arse over tit in milliseconds…

I can’t wait to see your future exploits G.  That kayak looks like a great platform for fishing!

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2021, 11:42:44 am »
I just popped down to one of the local public slipways......Benign as anything.....

"IMG_9681.JPG"

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2021, 01:10:10 pm »
Was this picture taken in the same area that you took?

"9DCBF6C1-5255-4875-9C86-85D430E8CE17.jpeg"

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2021, 01:16:37 pm »
Yep

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2021, 01:35:02 pm »
It took me a minute to figure out the exact location.  That's only a ~10 minute walk from the shop and looks like a great fishing spot.  Lots of structure to work and a very protected area. 

This should be lots of fun!

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2021, 01:38:21 pm »
My largest bass last year came from where Johnny was photographed.  That is a 5-minute walk from our house.  The slipway that I took the photo of above, is a few minutes drive away, and I'm thinking the two places are 15 or so minutes by Kayak.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 01:45:36 pm by Giles »

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2021, 01:44:18 pm »
I love google satellite pictures.  You can see the channel that runs down the middle of the area, decent weed cover, and all of the wrecks in varying states of decay.  Looks like a fishing paradise! 

G, Are you going to use top water baits for the shallows or going to stick to the channel?