Hi, Guest

Author Topic: All Things Mac/ Apple  (Read 177536 times)

Offline passthestripe

• Haraki-san Expert
  • rugged and raw
    • View Profile
Re: All Things Mac/ Apple
« Reply #1065 on: April 21, 2015, 07:47:09 pm »
Apple related request for feedback : Finally getting around to upgrading to an iPhone 6, anyone got a recommendation for a case?  Does not need to be super protective, but the slight bit of coverage so the back is flush (i.e. negates the raised camera) and lets you place it face down without it resting on the screen?  Cheers!

Offline tmg

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 21, 2015, 10:21:15 pm »
I went with the Apple leather case, so far so good, and it's been put to the test with a couple of falls over the last few months

Offline tmg

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 21, 2015, 10:39:11 pm »
@Snowy  thanks for the vid, some interesting perspectives from Scott

Offline organisys

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: April 24, 2015, 01:17:12 pm »
Apple related request for feedback : Finally getting around to upgrading to an iPhone 6, anyone got a recommendation for a case?  Does not need to be super protective, but the slight bit of coverage so the back is flush (i.e. negates the raised camera) and lets you place it face down without it resting on the screen?  Cheers!

Knomo black leather, and a 3M Privacy screen protector (best on the market, imho).

Pride of Japan :-)

Offline organisys

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: April 24, 2015, 01:19:55 pm »
@Snowy  thanks for the vid, some interesting perspectives from Scott

Interesting stuff. A family member is in the business and cross channel / multi play is what they are all clamouring to achieve. Not an easy thing to do with multiple legacy systems in different parts of the business.
To be a big time retailer nowadays you need agile systems and talented IT staff.
Pride of Japan :-)

Offline Clint_D

• Iron Heart Deity
  • ATX IH Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 25, 2015, 03:37:25 am »
Has anyone had any experience swapping to an SSD for a mid-2012 MBP?  I just ordered a Transcend 960gb SSD and I'm debating whether to do the swap myself or if it would be worthwhile to take it somewhere.

Offline urbanwoodsman

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 25, 2015, 04:01:07 am »
Has anyone had any experience swapping to an SSD for a mid-2012 MBP?  I just ordered a Transcend 960gb SSD and I'm debating whether to do the swap myself or if it would be worthwhile to take it somewhere.

Swap it yourself. It's super easy. If you know how to use a screwdriver you'll be fine. You'll need a small philips head screwdriver and I believe a T6 torx screwdriver. I'm sure there are plenty of videos around to guide you through it.

Offline Megatron1505

• 見習いボス
  • HC-IH-01 HWB-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: April 25, 2015, 08:21:24 am »
Yep, I did mine and it was extremely easy.
Made in England, clothed in Japan, fed in America and drunk in Belgium !

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 25, 2015, 08:42:32 am »
yeah me three on that. just did it myself. no fuss. pretty straightforward. too easy mate.
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Clint_D

• Iron Heart Deity
  • ATX IH Hoarder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 25, 2015, 12:05:07 pm »
Thanks for the responses, I'm looking forward to seeing the difference in performance with the SSD.

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: April 25, 2015, 12:20:24 pm »
My 2011 MBP is in with the apple store. The display was going crazy greens/reds. It's out of all warranty, but being done under a general recall/replacement. $800AUD replacement for free. Any other vendor, and back in the day I used to do hardware/parts/etc, would say, sorry, that's natural wear/tear/usage of 4 years always on device. Apple goes, no no, it should last you more than 4 years, we're sorry our manufacturing wasn't up to par for you, and this isn't your fault, so we'll fix it for free.

It's stuff like this why I stick with Apple. Some of their hardware/options are annoying, their service bar none, number one.

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 25, 2015, 12:23:23 pm »
and what it looked like before it was sent off....

Offline louisbosco

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 25, 2015, 04:14:59 pm »
My 2011 MBP is in with the apple store. The display was going crazy greens/reds. It's out of all warranty, but being done under a general recall/replacement. $800AUD replacement for free. Any other vendor, and back in the day I used to do hardware/parts/etc, would say, sorry, that's natural wear/tear/usage of 4 years always on device. Apple goes, no no, it should last you more than 4 years, we're sorry our manufacturing wasn't up to par for you, and this isn't your fault, so we'll fix it for free.

It's stuff like this why I stick with Apple. Some of their hardware/options are annoying, their service bar none, number one.

the replacement program have been out for awhile now. thank god the petition went through. i had the same problem on my 2011 15in MBP as well. however mine died way earlier and i wasn't going to pay. however, the moment the replacement program came out, i was the first in to the genius bar to get it done.
"Loyalty is a two way street. If i'm asking for it from you, then you're getting it from me."
- Harvey Specter

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 26, 2015, 02:33:19 am »
^Yup, I've been aware of it for a while as well, but it got to a point where the flashing got too much. Plus a logic board replacement is basically getting a new computer. My case was full of cat hair (I tried removing a ton of it a few weeks ago), so the shell will be cleaned fully, and the logic board is replaced. Imagine it's then covered by another 1-3years warranty, like most of their replacements, which extends a 2011 product at least to mid 2016. 5 years on a laptop is good IMO.

Offline Snowy

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 26, 2015, 02:34:25 am »
How is yours going now it's been replace louis?