Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Photograph and Camera talk  (Read 255559 times)

Offline urbanwoodsman

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
Re: Photograph and Camera talk
« Reply #555 on: September 12, 2011, 09:20:29 am »
Lax, if you're gonna desaturate the first image so much you might as well just make it BW. When you bring it down that much it just ends up looking muddy and too brown.

Bring up the blacks in the second image because they're def under exposed. Don't know if you're shooting to RAW but I do most of my color tweaking in RAW.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:52:42 pm by urbanwoodsman »

Offline laxlife1234

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:35 am »
Yeah, I hear ya both! The first image I really like though, I am a fan of desaturated photos almost black and white but enough to tell they aren't. I shot all of the photoshoot in raw so I could easily adjust the light. But some of the images I have to go back and re-edit when I am able to get back on a mac because they are underexposed.

I am starting to think I might want to get a wider angle lens though. I know I am using a crop and what not but I might as well just get the 50 1.4 and get the 24 1.4. I find myself never really going to 1.2 because it is honestly too soft. Plus I was fine with the 50mm for a while but it is too hard to get wide shots. The lens isn't also as sharp as I would like it to be. But then again I just had an idea tonight, going to think it over though if I really want to go through that whole entire process.

Offline Finn666

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 14, 2011, 04:06:19 pm »
now that pic is dope...any more infos?

and i don`t even dare to write my opinion on that lens switch again... >:(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:08:42 pm by Finn666 »

Offline laxlife1234

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 14, 2011, 04:33:21 pm »
Hahaha, I think I will just stick to the 50, but start saving up for a 24 1.4. I will just deal with the body I have now, even though I was going to upgrade that first but whatever. You can say told ya so though :P

Thanks though! Info... it was shot @ 1.2 ISO 100, 0.8 sec. It was being lit by a car and I got the background to look like that since the relatively long exposure and there was a sprinkler going off that made that misty looking effect. I shot it in RAW, tonemapped it in photomatix, then edited in CS5 and made those artificial rays (I'm a cheater).

Offline Geo

• 啓蒙家
  • Ironclad
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 14, 2011, 04:56:12 pm »
Bring up the blacks in the second image because they're def under exposed. Don't know if you're shooting to RAW but I do most of my color tweaking in photoshop RAW.

[/quote]

+1 on working in RAW for colours - if you go JPEG initially you've already lost a lot of colour information

I use lightroom which has great features and works well inside pchop

Maybe you could try shooting B&W and look at 'colorising' elements - you can achieve some very unique results
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity

Offline jbphoto23

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
    • Josh Bustos Photography
« Reply #560 on: September 14, 2011, 10:06:03 pm »
Lax. I would say forget the 24 and 50 and go with the 35 1.4...I have the 35 right now, and I used to have the 24 1.4.
the 24 is super wide, and with a crop body, the 50 is too tight. The 35 is an incredible lens. Just something to think about!

Offline laxlife1234

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 15, 2011, 01:29:47 am »
+1 on working in RAW for colours - if you go JPEG initially you've already lost a lot of colour information

I use lightroom which has great features and works well inside pchop

Maybe you could try shooting B&W and look at 'colorising' elements - you can achieve some very unique results

Yeah I have recently been shooting in RAW a ton of the time (I find I am liking it better). Makes editing the photos a lot easier and I find the results better. I would be using LR but I have CS5 and find it does everything I want, but the only thing is that I have found my windows computer to become a hell of a lot slower recently so I am going to probably need to upgrade to a mac for photo editing but I would rather spend that money on a new lens... decisions...decisions..

Lax. I would say forget the 24 and 50 and go with the 35 1.4...I have the 35 right now, and I used to have the 24 1.4.
the 24 is super wide, and with a crop body, the 50 is too tight. The 35 is an incredible lens. Just something to think about!

You do make a good point... although, I think it would be more challenging and fun (imo) with a 24. I don't think I will be selling the 50 though as I would rather keep it so when I upgrade my body I have more lens to have fun with :)! If I do ever wind up going super-wide I will have to think very hard if it is worth it or not!

Offline jbphoto23

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
    • Josh Bustos Photography
« Reply #562 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:57 am »
Unless you're shooting something you don't really care about having perfect, or high quality isn't important...like family pictures or something, you should always be shooting raw. If its really important to you, when you open the file in CS5 change the mode from 8 bit to 16 bit, it let's you go further with editing and you lose less quality and information. It does make your file larger but if you're working on a file a lot it helps. Jpegs are good when you're shooting large amounts of files you don't wanna edit too much, and for web files, that's about it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:06:07 am by jbphoto23 »

Offline laxlife1234

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 18, 2011, 01:22:23 am »
Forgot to reply to your comment! But, yeah high quality is important because when that day comes when I start printing my photos and they are amazing quality then I will be happy.

Offline laxlife1234

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 20, 2011, 03:19:11 am »

Offline mvb

• Iron Heart Deity
  • IRONCLAD 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 20, 2011, 06:27:33 am »
hmm i dont want to know what you are burning there
whilst enjoying some fine wine

Offline injunjack

• 啓蒙家
  • Lättäpää
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 20, 2011, 07:02:31 am »
mvb
dirty minds think alike,,, maybe it's some sorta alien.....
Iron Heart - When Tuff ain't Enuff

Offline Finn666

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 20, 2011, 08:00:36 am »
or some sort of "toy"...who knows :D

lax - i don`t think that`s "your" glass of vino, right? ;)
great pic though mate.

Offline Lucifer

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
    • Foto site
« Reply #568 on: September 20, 2011, 08:42:26 am »
A bit too high iso AND large aperture, but that is what norwegian autumn nights gets you.. ;) I still like it:

Seize the day and don't you cry.

Online Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:13 am »
^^ If that's a river there, I want to be fishing it.....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011