Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Red Wing Shoes  (Read 580709 times)

Offline Palmer

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
Re: Red Wing Shoes
« Reply #1695 on: April 09, 2020, 12:15:19 am »
I had an old pair of Iron Rangers that I had worn a lot years ago but hadn’t been wearing much lately because of the lack of traction with the nitrile cork soles. I decided to have the boots resoled with some Vibram 100 honey soles and they just came back to me today. it’s safe to say they’ll be getting more wear now.

"CBC17130-0EC9-4B32-AF62-E1F28DE1A1F8.jpeg""F9E25A5E-36C1-460F-A6FE-354C48C553D3.jpeg"

Offline Brock

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: April 09, 2020, 03:09:22 am »
Those things are bullet proof now. I did the same thing with one of my pair (except I went with the black) and wore them for 4 years while working on the railroad walking on that abrasive ballast rock all day. They could easily go another 4 years...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bob_z

• Haraki-san Student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: May 06, 2020, 05:02:35 pm »
I honestly thought that I wouldn’t buy a pair of Redwings again after getting to know some other brands. But then summer was coming and I came across those 8106’s... I was defenseless right there at the spot and my gosh are they a nice pair of shoes, the double stitching at the sole, the colour white, brown, black and nickel omg how nice...(imo that is of course)

I can resist anything but temptation.

Offline jerkules

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: October 01, 2021, 12:09:58 pm »
They’re fairly ubiquitous, but I’m a big fan of Red Wings. I used to work a fairly low pay job in London, and i’d always see guys wearing moc toes. I thought they were the coolest and really wanted a pair. I worked at Great Ormond Hospital, and while walking on a lunch break I spotted some moc toes in the window of The Content Store on Lambs Conduit Street. My heart sank when I saw the price tag. No way could I justify £250 on a pair of boots!
On my last day in the job my generous colleagues had a collection for me. There was almost £200, I couldn’t believe it. On my lunch break I rushed down to the content store. When I told them it was my last day working at the hospital, the sales guy said I could have 15% off tag. I couldn’t believe it, I needed to put only £20 of my own money to own the boots I’d coveted for the last 3 years! (Funny story, listening to the IH podcast, I believe that the generous sales assistant was in fact IH’s very own @Jack Thanks buddy!)

Anyways, they’re common place now, and I know they play second fiddle to other boot makers like White’s and Wesco, but I still really love Red Wing moc toes. I just got a pair of 8863s in the Slate Roughout and I think they’re lovely.

"image.jpg"

Offline IH-GARY

• Haraki-san Prodigy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: October 01, 2021, 12:32:07 pm »
Great story @jerkules!

I prefer Wesco for a round toe these days but until Wesco finally develop a moc toe boot, my trusty Red Wings are always on hand.

For this years resole I requested the addition of a 5mm leather mid sole to get closer to the Wesco soles - also gives my old bones a bit more cushion!

"IMG_4722.jpg"

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #1700 on: October 01, 2021, 01:09:09 pm »
Seconded on the great story.  It's funny how small the world is and how many times we cross paths and never know it.

Offline Bfd70

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: October 01, 2021, 03:43:32 pm »
I honestly thought that I wouldn’t buy a pair of Redwings again after getting to know some other brands. But then summer was coming and I came across those 8106’s... I was defenseless right there at the spot and my gosh are they a nice pair of shoes, the double stitching at the sole, the colour white, brown, black and nickel omg how nice...(imo that is of course)

Not just your opinion. Those look super cool.

Offline mikebarhoot

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: October 14, 2021, 07:01:25 pm »
Had my 8111s updated w some lugs as well

Offline SKT

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: October 23, 2021, 03:26:11 pm »
I have a soft spot for Red Wings because my grandpa always wore their Pecos style boots as work boots on our family farm. I got these 877s for my birthday last year and finally put some mink oil on em. Love the color change