Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Books  (Read 54633 times)

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #480 on: December 08, 2018, 12:53:44 am »
I need to go back to it and do it again. Of all the story arcs I love The Sprawl the best because it’s OG, next comes Blue Ant which I think is his best work, then The bridge Trilogy (which is last but still beloved).

When I got my hands on The Peripheral I was seriously wired but it didn’t work out for me. There were things I loved but it didn’t gel into a full «Gibson» experience. I’m betting that’s more to do with me than him.

I’ve keenly re-read everything he’s written so it’ll be interesting to go back to something with a slightly sceptical frame of mind.

As far as skepticism goes, I still haven't read "The Difference Engine," mainly based on the setting in the past. That's a crime, because I'm a huge fan of computer science and love books that similarly plumb the history of computer science and blend it with fiction, like "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson. Also love his "Snow Crash," which reads as a satire of cyber punk while still being cyber punk AF.
Think it, be it.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: January 07, 2019, 04:14:31 pm »
Good book: easy to read but insightful.

"0F03CA38-7B16-4A5C-AF3F-E119DD90D188.jpeg"

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 04, 2019, 05:34:09 pm »
The Field by Lynne McTaggart

"Screenshot_20190704-102759.png"

I'm only 12 % in and already this one of the most profound things I've ever read.

Reality is far stranger that we think, and there is more connection within the universe than we can imagine.

Think it, be it.

Offline xtcclassic

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: September 07, 2019, 06:49:55 pm »
Thinking about reading Name Of The Wind again.  While wondering about when Rothfuss is going to get the last book finished, I came across this interview Rothfuss did with Leo Laporte.  It's very long and rambling, and the connection cuts out a lot, but there's some interesting stuff about the books and his creative process.

Oh, and the answer is probably 2014, if you're curious...

Well it’s 2019 and still nothing, BUT I heard Showtime is adapting the Kingkiller “trilogy” into a series, so I expect Rothfuss is going to pull a GRRM and they’ll finish the series long before we see the last book in the trilogy.
666-XHS | SEXIHXLSXA-13 | 777-SB | 9666Z | 666S-21 | 666S-16 | 666S-PD | 777S-142
IHSH-07 | IHSH-62-BLK | IHSH-62-WHT | IHSH-64 | IHSH-81 | IHSH-156 | IH-9527J

Offline Chris

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: September 07, 2019, 08:11:05 pm »
Damn, I utterly forgot about that.   ???

I think Rothfuss irritates me more at this point than Martin. C'mon Pat, it's just one more book!  I feel so completely burned by these two that I've instituted a person rule to never read a book series until it's completed.

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: September 07, 2019, 11:55:14 pm »
Good rule. I'm done with epic fantasy after tiring of how long-winded The Wheel of Time series was. Not to speak ill of the dead, but the Robert Jordan was either milking it or just needed serious editing. He could have done many series in the world he created had he wanted, or created other worlds, instead of dying before he could complete the story.
Think it, be it.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: September 08, 2019, 07:21:23 am »
I read the first Wheel of Time book and found it incredibly boring. The character are not well defined, and the story is a drag - not to mention that the atmosphere is quite dark.

Offline Snowy

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
    • Iron Heart
« Reply #487 on: September 08, 2019, 02:25:46 pm »
Recently got through The Stormlight Archives. Near the end of book 3 I got the feeling it wasn't going to wrap up.. found out it's a 10 parter when part 4 isn't due until next year some time - talk about rest of life wait!

The Wheel of Time - I got through it all over the last 2 years. I enjoyed most of it, I think it was around 3 books too long. It got a fresh breath of life when Sanderson picked it up.

The Magician - that's another epic series I've loved.

Random question; do any of you know of a sci-fi book where the characters upload their consciousness into a coke can and go travelling out into space on the back of a laser beam fired from earth to propel them? There's a cat in there. I read the book years ago but for the life of me can't recall what it's called and what to re-read. Have been trying to find it again for around 2 years, have skimmed through most of the books I can think of and can't find it :/ Help? :)

Offline Chris

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: September 08, 2019, 05:20:47 pm »
I tried The Wheel Of Time twice, maybe three times, but never made it through the first chapter.  Several of my friends liked the series, so I wanted to like it, but it just never grabbed me.

Never read anything like that one, @Snowy, so I can't help you on your quest, sorry.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: September 10, 2019, 03:16:35 pm »
Random question; do any of you know of a sci-fi book where the characters upload their consciousness into a coke can and go travelling out into space on the back of a laser beam fired from earth to propel them? There's a cat in there. I read the book years ago but for the life of me can't recall what it's called and what to re-read. Have been trying to find it again for around 2 years, have skimmed through most of the books I can think of and can't find it :/ Help? :)

Any SF book with a cat suggests Heinlein, but that one isn't one. The only series I can think of with consciousness traveling through space is the (excellent ) Altered Carbon series. No Coke can though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altered_Carbon

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: September 10, 2019, 03:42:16 pm »
No idea (very Douglas Adams-sounding), but it makes me think of replicating von Neumann machines, which at our current level of understanding of physics is the most plausible way for a civilization to propagate across a galaxy unless an Alcubierre drive or other technology could ever get us to travel faster than the speed of light (absolutely staggering how vast the galaxy is and it's such a tiny piece of the known universe)--to that end, there was a novel written about that fairly recently that I've not read called We Are Legion (We are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor. I've not read it.
Think it, be it.