Author Topic: Books  (Read 70249 times)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #495 on: March 25, 2020, 05:25:50 pm »
All I am reading at the moment  :) :)

"IMG_0593 2.JPG"
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline browniemcghee

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 26, 2020, 12:47:34 am »
@Seul if you haven’t already, put Martin Eden on the list.  It is my favorite Jack London for sure, though I have not read all of those.  The Sea Wolf is great. Of course, The Call of the Wild is a classic. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 26, 2020, 04:02:35 am »
I mainly bought it for PEOPLE OF THE ABYSS, but decided to start at page 1... Will pick up MARTIN EDEN as well then!..

Offline browniemcghee

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
Books
« Reply #498 on: March 26, 2020, 04:11:00 am »
I just ordered People of the Abyss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline michaeljcr

• Iron Heart Deity
  • Book geek and leather jacket fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 05, 2020, 12:55:27 am »
Bought some travel literature, to enjoy the places it's now hard to get to!

The Classic In Patagonia by Bruce Chatwin, and the more recent Kings of the Yukon: An Alaskan River Journey by Adam Weymouth.

Anyone wants any sci-fi and fantasy recommendations, give me a shout. It's what I do for the day job.

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: April 05, 2020, 10:04:58 am »
Anyone wants any sci-fi and fantasy recommendations, give me a shout. It's what I do for the day job.

Oh really? Always... i’m a fan of N. Asher, and A. Reynolds. R. K. Morgan too. I’ve dropped out of the  scene a bit recently though. As far as fantasy goes I dropped out a looooong time ago. The last thing I really enjoyed was the S. Eriksen series and Morgan’s fantasy trilogy. Although he flybase the ending of that sadly (imho). Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Offline Chris

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 05, 2020, 08:05:24 pm »
Recently started reading the "Rivers Of London" books by Ben Aaronovitch and have found them quite enjoyable.  "Artemis" by Andy Weir (author of "The Martian") is a fun read.  I'd also strongly recommend "Trail Of Lightning" and "Storm Of Locusts" by Rebecca Roanhorse.  And though I'm waiting for the final book, The Daevabad Trilogy by S.A. Chakraborty is also worthwhile.

Just realized these skew more toward urban fantasy than Science Fiction, though.

Offline michaeljcr

• Iron Heart Deity
  • Book geek and leather jacket fan...
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 05, 2020, 11:48:05 pm »
Recently started reading the "Rivers Of London" books by Ben Aaronovitch and have found them quite enjoyable.  "Artemis" by Andy Weir (author of "The Martian") is a fun read.  I'd also strongly recommend "Trail Of Lightning" and "Storm Of Locusts" by Rebecca Roanhorse.  And though I'm waiting for the final book, The Daevabad Trilogy by S.A. Chakraborty is also worthwhile.

Just realized these skew more toward urban fantasy than Science Fiction, though.
Ha! I was Andy Weir’s UK editor for The Martian. I did the deal for Artemis, but was gone before it came out. Actually, it was a different book at first, he then swapped to that one.

Rebecca Rowanhorse is great - good call.

Derek Kunsken is great but it’s a shameless plug as we publish him.

Martha Wells’ Murder Bot books are great fun, Adrian Tchaikovsky’s recent sci-fi novels are good. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jett129

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 06, 2020, 02:31:58 am »
Haven’t read any sci-fi in quite some time,but used to really like Brian Aldiss.

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 06, 2020, 02:46:50 am »

I like dystopian, end of the world type genres as well as time travel. Anything recent worth checking out? Not sure if horror is in your wheelhouse but any recommendations similar to Poe or Lovecraft would be appreciated too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19

Offline Jett129

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 06, 2020, 04:08:13 am »
My favorite time travel book is called Up the Line by Robert Silverberg. Check it out.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 06, 2020, 07:34:14 am »
Not sure if horror is in your wheelhouse but any recommendations similar to Poe or Lovecraft would be appreciated too

Check out Charles Stross' Laundry novels.

Offline JDelage

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 06, 2020, 07:37:47 am »
Not really a fantasy fan usually, but I was recommended Robin Hobb's "The Assassin's Apprentice" recently and it's excellent.

If you like Heinlein-style space opera, I recommend Elliott Kay's "Poor Man's Fight" series. He also has an excellent series of urban fantasy X (light) eroticism novels...

Offline Graeme

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 06, 2020, 12:10:39 pm »
Robin Hobb is good, but she's written an awful lot of books in that series! I'm halfway through the third part of the third trilogy. (And there are two more trilogies set in the same world and time period.

The Vlad Taltos books by Steven Brust feature an assassin with a telepathic familiar, which isn't an entirely dissimilar setup to Hobb's. They're more tongue in cheek, though.

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch is another good series. He's up to book three of seven, I think that four is pretty close.

The Year of Our War by Steph Swainston feels a bit like Starship Troopers in a Michael Moorcock fantasy world. I really enjoyed the books, but I think that it took me the first half of the first one to gel with it.

The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert VS Reddick was a good read too. It's set on a gigantic sailing ship that's on a diplomatic mission, before everything goes Pete Tong.

Offline gaseousclay

• 見習いボス
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 06, 2020, 04:13:40 pm »
My favorite time travel book is called Up the Line by Robert Silverberg. Check it out.
Thx, I’ll have to check it out. I love a good story filled with paradoxes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WTB:
IHSH-129 size L (blue)
IHSH-37 blue/orange L or XL depending on fit
IHSH-19