Hi, Guest

Author Topic: What's your favorite Beer?  (Read 1104633 times)

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite Beer?
« Reply #13515 on: January 30, 2021, 06:05:00 am »
Cool to see Gipsy Hill on here - I live a 5 minute walk from their brewery. Didn't realise they'd made it far outside South London!

Made it all the way to northern Norway in fact. They started showing up in my local over a year ago. I’ve had three different beers, and really enjoyed the kveik ipa.

Get ahead, go figure, go ahead and pull the trigger,
Everything under the gun.

Offline jayaytee

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #13516 on: January 30, 2021, 10:40:25 am »
Outstanding, thanks @neph93 that's really cool to see! When I visit friends in northern England nobody has heard of them, but northern Norway, "yeah I've tried 3 so far." Perhaps it's a sign of the level of beer geekiness on here more than anything else... I strongly approve.

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13517 on: January 30, 2021, 11:23:43 am »
Cool to see Gipsy Hill on here - I live a 5 minute walk from their brewery. Didn't realise they'd made it far outside South London!

I'm only in N1, so it wasn't a huge journey :)
My local cornershop has about 5 of their beers at the moment

Offline jayaytee

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #13518 on: January 30, 2021, 12:24:51 pm »

I'm only in N1, so it wasn't a huge journey :)
My local cornershop has about 5 of their beers at the moment
Aha I thought you were in Gosport from your profile. North London is indeed a bit less impressive, especially now it has northern Norway to compete with

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13519 on: January 30, 2021, 03:03:07 pm »
Perhaps it's a sign of the level of beer geekiness on here more than anything else... I strongly approve.

Perhaps... I think that plays a role but that is also linked to the way beer is controlled in Norway in terms of import and sale.

Everything over 4.7% is exclusively sold via a state owned monopoly. People outside of Norway find this weird, but one of the advantages is the buying power they have coupled with an fantastic level of knowledge. The buying power means the range is very impressive well the product expertise means the quality is excellent. There are downsides to the system (opening hours, price, one is limited to what the buyers choose to import), but in many ways it is preferable to free market systems.

Offline Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13520 on: January 30, 2021, 03:36:24 pm »
So who exactly decides what is imported into Norway and what isn't?..

Oh and I've never bought Gipsy Hill before because the ratings of the available beers were too low... With so many beers available here, with many new ones added on a daily base, you have to draw the line somewhere... For me, that is that I will not buy a beer scoring lower than 4.0 on Untappd. My mate's decided to do 4.2 even.

Aaah beer snobs... You gotta love hating them...

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13521 on: January 30, 2021, 04:11:06 pm »
Oh and I've never bought Gipsy Hill before because the ratings of the available beers were too low... With so many beers available here, with many new ones added on a daily base, you have to draw the line somewhere... For me, that is that I will not buy a beer scoring lower than 4.0 on Untappd. My mate's decided to do 4.2 even.

"Screenshot 2021-01-30 at 16.10.23.png"
Scraped through the Seul test

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13522 on: January 30, 2021, 04:12:32 pm »
But not his poncy friends.....
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline jayaytee

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #13523 on: January 30, 2021, 04:31:29 pm »

Everything over 4.7% is exclusively sold via a state owned monopoly.

Interesting. Does it have any noticeable effect on the beers produced by local breweries? Do you get a proliferation of 4.6% beers so they can be sold direct to consumers, or anything like that?

Online neph93

• Mod Squad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13524 on: January 30, 2021, 04:33:45 pm »

The monopoly is set up with a charter definite the principles for its operation. Quality and choice are two of them. They deal with some foreign distributors directly but they also give concessions to selected import companies who them do the shopping for them. It does mean the selection is a little odd at times, and the pricing is out of whack with the rest of the planet (that can go both ways, but normally the wrong way). But it also means some crazy hard to get stuff turns up in large numbers (the last few boxes of Tilquin’s «spoilt batch» for example).

Offline jayaytee

• The Unwoven
    • View Profile
« Reply #13525 on: January 30, 2021, 04:36:26 pm »

Ha, that seems fair enough, not even sure I'd call it snobbery to be honest. If you mostly buy your beers online and you don't mind too much how much you pay*, you have to find _some_ way of choosing between the thousands on offer. Untappd reviews is probably more sensible than just basing it on which can artwork you like the look of.

*and you don't live in Norway!

Offline Alex

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #13526 on: January 30, 2021, 04:49:44 pm »
How does this one do it for the beer snobs  :D

"E2D29BBF-7A81-48FD-A36D-7CD523605C51.jpeg"

Offline Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13527 on: January 30, 2021, 05:03:18 pm »
But not his poncy friends.....

Exactly!.. You're getting the hang of it GILES_IN_DISGUISE

Latest Pohjala Cellar Series. It's a strong ale, which I'm not thàt big a fan of, but it's GOOOOOOOOD!..

"P1230781.JPG"

Offline Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13528 on: January 30, 2021, 05:06:05 pm »
Oh and feel free to add me on Untappd: Bier Beir

Offline Seul

• 見習いボス
  • 10 years of eejicy.
    • View Profile