Hi, Guest

Author Topic: Is there a global sizing standard?  (Read 1630 times)

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
Is there a global sizing standard?
« on: December 16, 2021, 10:45:48 am »
We are frequently asked why Iron Heart sizing is different from some other (mainly western) brands. 

Most importantly, there is no global standard for clothes sizes, there never has been and I suspect there never will be.

So for example, just because you have always been an M in Ralph Lauren, does not mean that you will be an M in Japanese or British, or indeed some other US brands.

Sizing varies between geographies because peoples size and shape varies between geographies. In The Netherlands, the average male height is a tad over 6 feet and weight is 194lbs, in the USA 5' 8" and 200lbs, and in Japan 5' 6" and 155lbs 

The brand that most gets this geographical variance in body size, in my opinion, is Shimano Lifestyle Gear.  Here is a sizing label from one of their garments, to me, this truly illustrates that they understand that clothes sizing is a variable based on geography....

"IMG_2053.JPG"

Sizing varies with time.  The average weight of a male in the US was 165 lbs in 1990 and in 2020 it is 185lbs.

The above are the reasons that:

1) We publish sizing tables per garment
2) We have links to videos showing how we measure, and thus how a customer can check sizing of something he/she has that fits well
3) We reach out to check whether a customer is sure of their sizing before we ship an order.  Yeah, it's a pain for all concerned, but far better we try and get the customer something that fits, than have the disappointment, hassle and expense of returning something that does not fit
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 10:55:59 am by Giles »
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline neph93

• Mod Squad
  • Not a complete twat.
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a global sizing standard?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2021, 10:49:53 am »
Unusual role swap here. My instinctive answer to the question was: «No, measure your clothes», while yours is thorough and detailed
“I think it was Scott Fitzgerald who said: "American lives don't have second acts." Well, this is Nephland. We do things differently here. This is the second act”.

(Paraphrased from something Tony Wilson may or may not have said).

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2021, 10:58:22 am »
 :D :D :D
"OK face up to it - you're useless but generally pretty honest and straightforward . . . it's a rare combination of qualities that I have come to admire in you" - Geo 2011

Offline Kasi

• 見習いボス
  • Anonymous
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2021, 11:16:22 am »
Come to a conclusion, for me What is size doesn’t matter.. but measurement are important.

Sizes go up and down. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 12:01:34 pm »
More data.....

Historical increase in size
In almost all countries of the world, the average body size has increased significantly over the last 100 years. While German men were still approximately 13 cm smaller at the beginning of the 20th century, Spanish men increased over 14 cm and Iranians even over 16 cm. With the women, the height of South-Korean-women rose by over 20 cm.

These drastic increases are unique in the history of mankind. In no phase of the evolution humans became so much bigger, as since the industrial revolution at the end of the 18. century. In the preceding 1000 years both men and women did not grow at all on average and before that only by 1-2 cm per 1000 years.

Offline Kasi

• 見習いボス
  • Anonymous
    • View Profile
Is there a global sizing standard?
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 01:30:33 pm »
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 04:17:36 pm by Kasi »

Offline mclaincausey

• 見習いボス
  • Swerve de Nîmes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 02:56:48 pm »

Sizing varies between geographies because peoples size and shape varies between geographies. In The Netherlands, the average male height is a tad over 6 feet and weight is 194lbs, in the USA 5' 8" and 200lbs, and in Japan 5' 6" and 155lbs 

Body Mass Index (BMI)
Japan: 25.0
Netherlands: 25.6
USA: 30.4

We win again, losers! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!
Think it, be it.

Offline goosehd

• 啓蒙家
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 03:00:51 pm »
...that is such a depressing statistic.  :(  Especially when one considers all of the additional health issues that come with it.

Offline DrPat

• Iron Heart Deity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 03:01:55 pm »
The OP also needs to be a sticky in the Facebook group.  Perhaps with an explanation of why a small brand like IH doesn’t have any incentive to make a size 8XL.

Offline Giles

• IHUK Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2021, 03:06:47 pm »
Perhaps with an explanation of why a small brand like IH doesn’t have any incentive to make a size 8XL.

:) :) :) :) :)

Offline nurunuru

• Haraki-san Expert
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 04:41:36 am »

Body Mass Index (BMI)
Japan: 25.0
Netherlands: 25.6
USA: 30.4

We win again, losers! USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!

Somewhat tangential, but I remember back when I lived in Japan I had to do an annual health check through my employer.  The doctor gave me a summary at the end and said everything was just fine apart from my being overweight.  I'm 5'10" and back then had a 30" waist.  No idea what I weighed, but couldn't have been more than 165 lbs I'm guessin'.

I did not take him seriously.